Keeping Fresh Mushrooms Fresh

I purchase a large package of already sliced mushrooms from Sam's club about every two weeks. For me it is a great price and saves time since I do not have to slice them. However fresh mushrooms spoil very quickly, especially the pre-sliced ones. My problem was that I use so many mushrooms in the dishes I make and since I am feeding a family I need a larger quantity than the normal 8oz. package. I prefer the fresh to the canned for both price and flavor along with health reasons. To me, the canned mushrooms just have too much sodium in them.

Finally, I stumbled on a great way to make them last for about two weeks and occasionally a little longer if I need. When I get home from grocery shopping, I take the package of mushrooms and transfer them all into a gallon size zip storage bag that I linned with a couple of paper towels. Whenever I get out some mushrooms to use, I check the moisture level of the paper towels.

If they are fairly damp, I replace them, making sure that most all of the mushrooms touch the towels instead of the plastic bag. This keeps the mushrooms very fresh and crisp, almost as good as the day they were first brought home.

They have remained usable and fresh enough for two weeks using this method.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Thanks for the great tip! I usually store mushrooms in the refrigerator in a bowl with a paper towel on top, which seems to help them stay fresh longer than the original packaging, but not for two weeks. I can't wait to try this!

I buy bulk fresh mushrooms & put them in the paper bag that most produce departments provide. If I can get a better deal with packaged ones I transfer them to a paper bag ASAP. They never get slimy that way & if left for quite a long time, they dry out. They can still be used as long as they are not moldy. I purchase paper sandwich bags for this purpose.

Thanks for this tip. I'm going to try it. I buy mushrooms and I use half of the box and end up throwing the other half because it got spoiled after a few days...

Hope this works for me.

Thanks for tip again.

I have the greatest thing for keeping mushrooms fresh for 2-3 weeks. I have a MUSHROOM KEEPER. It is about 5 inches high, about 5 inches in diameter. Made of what looks like a clay pot with a glazed inside. Four holes in the lid. On the bottom of container is a sticker that says "Bentson-West Designs, made in Italy for Boston Warehouse" The word MUSHROOMS is etched on side.

I found this at The Amana Colonies near Cedar Rapids, Iowa. If you ever find one, grab it, as I have never been able to find another for gals who would like one.

Try using brown paper bags rather than plastic and store in crisper. Mushrooms hold up much better that way.

I just bought a mushroom keeper at the thrift store. It was in good condition Paid six dollars and going to give it a try. It is from Italy from bw. thanks dave

I am going to try this - thanks!

Can you freeze fresh mushrooms that you pick out in the wild if so please e-mail me at nancy_greenwalt AT yahoo.com

My parents did a lot of wild mushroom picking. After cleaning them: Toss whole mushrooms in a pot of boiling water, bring back to a boil, let them cook for a minute. Drain, and immediately put in cold water or pour cold water over them. Drain, put in plastic bags and freeze.

OR: Clean and slice (or chop) the mushrooms, melt butter n a large pan, briefly saute the mushrooms, remove from the pan to cool, put into plastic bags and freeze.

WIsgal...could you please tell me which store you bought your mushroom keeper at if you can remember? I live near the Amana colonies. Thanks. I appreciate it.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can ship fresh morels from one end of the U.S. to the other and keep them fresh? How do I package them? What do I put them in? Thanks

I can't believe I too found a Mushroom Keeper from BW at a thrift store too! I bought it cuz it was unique and I wanted to find out what it was. Now I know! Mine did not say mushrooms on it. Thanks again so much.

If you buy any mushrooms fresh, remove the plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator in a brown paper bag. This will save your mushrooms for a couple of weeks! I was finally able to stop throwing away mushrooms! YAY!

Small Pile of Button Mushrooms
Storing Mushrooms
Food and Recipes StorageOctober 25, 2006
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms
Mushrooms
Selecting Good Mushrooms
🎉
🎄