Craft Ideas for Assisted Living Home

I work volunteer hours working an assisted living home trying to earn my silver award for Girl Scouts. We do crafts every other week or so and we do a craft usually for each holiday. We have done a Halloween craft but now I need ideas for a Thanksgiving craft that the residents could hang on their door. These crafts need to be not very complicated and not use expensive supplies. These people's hands are shaky and have trouble with gluing many parts together. They love to paint (they use the foam brushes for sponge painting) so painting is okay.

Kim from CA

Best Answer

my grandsons class made the cutest wreath. they took a thin white paper plate and cut out the inside circle which left a round circle about 3-4 wide to use as the wreaths base for building.Then they cut out the same shape of a maple leaf using construction paper in fall colors like red, orange, yellow green, and glued those on in a clockwise circle slightly over lapping each leaf on the one before it until the wreath was full one layer around. Then a ribbon piece tied into a bow was attached (the wide 2 inch wire tulle ribbon0 it was attached to the top with glue. simple yet so pretty. It can hang anywhere because the inside circle was open. Hang on there doors, bedpost, in the window. Even add a picture of the person on the wreath.

Supplies used were:

1 white thin cheap paper plate

various colors of paper construction paper

elmers glue or glue stick

scissors

wire tulle ribbon

you could even cut out the leafs prior to the day of fun for them.

If it's not too simple - I have always liked the turkeys you can make from a handprint. Just draw around the hand and then paint - add sparkle, etc.

You also might check out the free coloring pages at www.doverpublications.com. You could also spray autumn leaves with paint, and make shadow pictures by putting the leaves on paper and then spraying, & removing the leaves. Or press leaves between layers of waxed paper with a cool iron....

Just some ideas...

Going along with the wreath idea already suggested, how about making one out of foam leaf stickers? You can find a tub of them very inexpensively at chain craft stores (or could also be ordered from Oriental Trading). You could either use paper plates for the base, or cut circles from foam. I think they'd look great! You could also do a wreath with a wax paper center, that includes a single pretty leaf. Good luck!

Card holders are nice for the holidays. For Thanksgiving make a turkey and for winter holidays make snowpeople, santas, penguins, etc. Staple half a paper plate to a whole one to make a storage space for greeting cards. For the turkey, glue paper feathers to the back of the whole plate. They can use the sponge brushes with the glue, and it doesn't matter if it's neat. If you want more easy, small-motor activity, they can also cut and ruffle the sides of the feathers before gluing. Then, attach a turkey head to the front, half plate and add some feet. Use a variety of colored paper for this project or white paper if they want to paint. Attach a ribbon to the top of the plate to hang it on their door with a tack or tape.

Try felt and double sided carpet tape, with felt you can make turkeys or wreaths, or my kids made a christmas tree out of felt added grommets to put lights thru and made orniments of felt with glitter and cequins and sticky velcro for the back, that was about 17 years ago and it's still holding up for the grandsons to decorate.

I'm looking for creative ideas for my activity calendar for next month. I have bingo, wine & fruit, birthday party, movie & popcorn. I have some crafts, I need more ideas for the males at my facility. Please help