What Type of Plant Is This? (Giant Scilla, Pruvain Scilla, Cuban Scilla or Hyacinth)

Q:Does anyone know what the name of this plant is? It was from my neighbor about 3 years ago. I divided it and put part in the sunny part of the garden and part in the shade. It bloomed this year in the sun. The one in the shade has not. The leaves are strap like. The nasturtiums are overgrowing it.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

A:Great Granny Vi,

It's a little hard to tell, but from the looks of your picture and description (strap-like leaves, blooming in full sun) it looks to me like your flower might be a Portugese Squill (Scilla peruviana). Check out a picture here: www.joycreek.com/699-001.htm

This plant is also sometimes called the Giant Scilla, Pruvain Scilla, Cuban Scilla or Hyacinth of Peru-although it is really native to the Western Mediterranean region of Iberia, Italy, and northwest Africa. It's commonly grown for its ornamental spring flowers which range in color from white to light or dark blue or violet.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Is it a small shrub? If so, it looks like a form of hydrangea to me. I think it's called "lace cap" where there are only flowers around the outside and not all over. As a shrub, it may not be dividable, so I could be wrong here.

Hi~~don't know what its called...but it is very pretty....I'd like to be your neighbor :0)

Hi Great Granny Vi,

Because it has strap leaves, i wonder if it might be from a bulb. Is it possibly this blue globe agapanthus:

It says it doesn't bloom until summer but you are in California so it might bloom early.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Are the buds a deep pink..almost look like a bleeding heart? it looks like what I have in my yard!

Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantMarch 18, 2006
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
giant pumpkin
Growing Giant Pumpkins
Purple Hyacinth
Growing Hyacinth
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making an Optimus Prime Costume (The Transformers)