Nicotine Stains on a Purse

How can I clean my white Dooney Bourke purse which has turned yellow with what looks like nicotine stains?

Kathy from Sacramento, CA

It's a horrible thing, but I am glad to see mine isn't the only one that looks like yours. I haven't found anything that works yet. Have you?

I was looking for the same solution......my purse looks EXACTLY like the one pictured....Ive tried everything to try and clean but nothing has worked.....still no ideas?

I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one with this problem. My white "It" bag looks exactly identical to the one pictured as well! Hopefully someone will be able to suggest something to help all of us. My heart is COMPLETELY broken!

I have the exact stain on that exact purse. That is so embrassing to not use last year fashion for one more spring season. A purse should last at least two times. I have changed out alot cheaper than that D&B., What a cute purse it was, while it lasted.

As like everyone else is saying, my purse looks exactly the same!! I was shocked to see the stains when they first appeared as I am not a smoker :( Hopefully someone will come to our rescue and solve our mystery

I emailed Dooney this morning on behalf of the 6 six of us. I don't know if it will do any good, but it's worth a shot. Maybe if we all bug them we can be compensated in some way? This is obviously not our fault. I will let you all know if I hear anything.

this is really crazy there must be something that they can do my purse looks exactly the same.

Have any of you heard back from D & B as to how to fix the discoloration of the bag. Mine looks just like that as well. Im so upset! D & B only allows a refund/replacement within the first year and that is if you fill out the guarantee card that comes with the purse when bought. I thought it was just something that I did to the purse to make it turn yellow but now I know that it is a manufactoring problem and we all deserve NEW purses!!

Mine is the same, I have tried a paste made from baking soda, alcohol, goof off, and regular soap and water. I saved up money to buy this purse and I am very disappointed. I will not buy another dooney!

Hello, I bought my DB purse from ebay, and from the picture it looked in good condition and when I got it it looked all yellow, like the one pictured...I am not a happy ebayer...if anybody can figure out how to get the yellow out....please post...thanks

Tracy

I too, have a dooney that has turned yellow. It happened after I left the purse in the trunk of my car for a week or more in the Georgia heat, so I just assumed it was discolored from the heat...but reading all these other people say the same thing happened to them makes me think it might be something else... ?

This has happened to my girl friend's purse. She blamed me because I'm a smoker. She left it in my closet and said the smoke stained it. Can anyone help me?

It won't come out of the plastic coating.

I have the same problem!

D&B customer service they said heat and sun exposure will cause the bag to turn yellow over time. They told me to use a mild soap and soft white cloth to wash the bag. I tried their resolution several times and nothing changed. Then I thought the purse was trash so why not try one more thing before tossing it out.

I put some whitening toothpaste on a soft toothbrush and scrubbed for about 10 minutes using circular and up & down motions and I used a white wet cloth to wipe off the soap. The bag is a lot better, it has a dramatically whiter look! I let the bag completely dry and I used the toothpaste to scrub it again and the stains are almost gone!

I didn't scrub too hard, but I did use some force. I am going to continue to do this until the bag is white again.

I used warm water and the specific brand of toothpaste I used was Colgate total advanced clean plus whitening gel. I was careful not to get water/toothpaste on the leather.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Melissa! I'll try the toothpaste as well.

Hi all! I am having the exact same problem with my dooney! I'm not a smoker, never left my bag in extreme heat, I had it in my closet and next thing I knew its YELLOW! Please help!

Anyone tried spot shot, saddle soap, spray 'n'wash or maybe Shout? Anyone willing to donate a purse to science? I have used Spray n wash on my Converse sneakers for years -worth a try?

Mine looks exactly the same! This is so ridiculous! If anyone has any ideas about how to fix the yellow discoloration I would love to hear.

My "it" bag turned yellow too! I contacted Dooney and Bourke and they will only offer me to replace it at $85 my cost. This seems crazy why would I want to buy a new bag that will probably just turn yellow too. I don't understand how SO many people can have this happening yet nothing is done about it. I would really like to put together some sort of dispute against this obvious defect in their product. Please if you would like to be part of this post on here, I know if enough of us work together we can get something done about it. I love handbags and have gotten many from lots of different designers, and have never had anything turn an ugly color. I treat my bag well and do not abuse them, this is not from normal wear this is a DEFECT. I do not care if they have only a one year policy this is not acceptable from a company that tries to claim itself as a top brand.

Let's DO something about this ladies...Call Glenn Grahm (Manager) at the company....He won't help but he'll talk to you so nasty and say things like "If you are having probles with our product don't buy it" you will never buy another one!!!

Thanks for all of your responses! Yesterday I tried cleaning my bag with everything you can think of, peroxide, clorox, grease lightning. Nothing worked. I now know it's not a stain at all, it's just changed colors chemically.

Orejitagirl, I didn't realize so many other people had this same problem. It does seem like D&B could do something to prevent this from happening. I'm sure it happens to all of the coated bags, not just the IT bags.

I think I will send mine back. At least then they may realize what a problem this is, and I may get credit toward a new bag, but it will NOT be a coated bag.

Last week or so I had a friend online that had the same thing happen to one of her white Dooneys. On the bottom of her purse though. She talked to an online customer service rep and they told her to lightly scrub it with Johnson's Baby soap on it and then wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide.

I bought a white Miami small duffel but after learning all of this is returned it. Dooney co phone rep said they had never heard of any of their bags turning yellow (lie) but dooney in store sales person said that it does happen to the white ones. While another I spoke to said it was only a certain lot that they had of the older it bags. I WONT take chances, I'll just get a black. By the way I saw the same thing happen to a bubblegum pink IT bag too! :(

I have had the same problem with my white "hearts" bucket bag! I too, had saved to by this bag at 179.00. I am very upset, I only got to use it for a little over a month, and it started happening. My heart is broke. I guess I will try the colgate total toothpaste. I do not smoke, and nobody in my house smokes. So, this is not he result of nicotine!

My purse looks exactly the same with the nicotine stains. I took very good care of my purse and I thought it would last longer than it has. I have cheaper purses that I have purchased and they last much longer than this expensive Dooney & Burke Purse. I am not happy at all with this purse and I agree with every one on this forum that we should be given a refund or another purse.

If it it was not so expensive to do, this would be a good class action lawsuit against Dooney. Their smug attitude and unwillingness to help the customers is wrong. We should not have to spend MORE money to fix something that is clearly their fault.

Why do y'all ladies get so wrought up over fancy hand bags when we guys hardly think about our wallets (except for the money within :-)

If you didn't tell anybody, I bet most would never guess the bag was not supposed to be that color in the first place, and the few that knew would likely sympathize with you. It doesn't look uneven, and it matches the straps.

POSSIBLY, exposing the bag to ozone or ultraviolet light (direct sun outdoors) might lighten it up. My guess is that it's a chemical reaction from the fumes of some plastic material used to line the purse.

May 8, 2009 Send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau - Westchester County, CT against Dooney & Bourke & to the State of Connecituct Attorney Generals office {attorney.general@po.state.ct.us}- to encourage Dooney & Bourke to replace in full this defective product and to stop marketing and selling their "Grafica" White Vinyl product/materials are substandard product and Dooney & Bourke continues to market and sell a defective product that they are well aware will discolor/yellow after the one year warranty period. Their white vinyl "Grafica" coated bag is defective in the manufacturing process and should not be sold any longer until they have determined why the product discolors. A product recall should be in place.

We returned a white Barrel satchel and matching wristlet along with a white Heart tassel tote and matching ID card holder. This is the second time that our white Barrel satchel and wristlet has yellowed. This is why we know it is a manufacturer's defect that has not been addressed. Now our white Heart tassel tote and ID card holder has had the same yellowing discoloration. There is an ongoing problem with the materials used in the making of these D & B products? They state that their leather improves with age but their vinyl product is obviously defective. We requested replacement with similar/comparable product. They declined. Customer service has offered 1/2 retail value of the bag but a minimum purchase as follows must be made: IT20; or comparable product costing a minimum of $155 IH70; or comparable product costing a minimum of $125 WI9; or comparable product costing minimum of $30 WE17 or comparable product costing a minimum of $20 This is unacceptable to be charging these exorbitant prices for a product that continues to be substandard. I believe it is criminal to continue to market and sell a defective product.

My wife had this happen. When I called all they wanted was proof of purchase to exchange it. So she sent them the receipt and 10 days later new bag! It was that easy.

I have a barrel and bucket bag and a large wallet that has turned yellow. The barrel bag is also a limited edition. The sales clerk at the DB store told me to wipe the bag with warm water and mild soap, which in return turned my bag in an orangy-brown color! I will never buy another DB bag again!

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsSeptember 30, 2006
Ashtray Full of Cigarettes
Removing Nicotine Stains on Clothing
Cleaning Blinds
Cleaning Nicotine Stains on Blinds
girl smoking
Removing Nicotine Stains from Linoleum and Vinyl Flooring
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎉
🎄