I got poison ivy all over my hands and fingers one year. I found by putting them under running water (as hot as I could tolerate) would keep them from itching for almost an hour.
After cutting an overgrown yard one day, our oldest son had poison ivy all over his face. The doctor had given him medicine but it didn't stop the itching. Hot washcloths on his face every thirty minutes or so also made this bearable until it went away.
This is not exactly a home remedy, but I have used this product for at least 40 years. It is better than any ointment or remedy that I have ever heard of. It is available in most health food stores. If you cannot find it, it is available on Amazon.com. The product is a homeopathic tablet, Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak tabs, and they are relatively inexpensive, $7.98 for 50 tabs. They not only will clear up the rash almost overnight, but you can take the pills for several days before a camping trip, and if you accidentally are exposed to the ivy, you may end up with just a blister or two...perhaps nothing.
I picked wild blackberries every summer for years, and I used this product. I remember well a time when I slipped off a log and fell spread eagle on my back in a batch of poison ivy. I had been taking 2 pills a day for about 7 days, and never got a blister. I very highly recommend it.
Harlean from Arkansas
Dissolve 6 plain (Beyer) aspirins in 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol. DO NOT STORE IN PLASTIC. Apply to affected area 3 or 4 times a day. Obviously, you should not use this if you are sensitive to aspirin. Everything--clothes, bedding, etc. that has touched the area should be washed to remove any of the oils from the poisonous plant.
I can't tell you for sure but when my husband would 1st catch the poison oak or even a mosquito bite he would make a paste of soap & put it on the area. If your area is small you can try this. He said it did help with the itching. It's natural so it can't hurt.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.