Carole's Favorite Macaroni And Cheese

Classic mac n cheese recipe, with an added flavor (the addition of mustard.)

• 8 oz. uncooked macaroni
  • 8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
  • Ad
  • 1 pint whole milk
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 stick of melted butter
  • 1/2 oz salt
  • 1/2 oz dry mustard

These are the ingredients that were given to me when I first got the recipe many years ago. I'm one of those cooks that just toss things in the pot, but this is a general guide-line of what is actually supposed to be used. ) I also throw a lot more cheese into the mix, LOL.

Cook macaroni until 2/3 done, wash with cold water, and drain. Beat eggs, salt, and mustard; add milk. Mix well. Add melted margarine. Add half of the grated cheese to cooked macaroni. Mix in milk and egg mixture. Pour into serving pan; top with remaining cheese. Bake in water bath at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour.

Water bath: Place about 1 inch of water in a pan slightly larger than the pan that you are cooking your dish in. Place mac n cheese directly into the larger pan with the water in it, making sure no water reaches the top of your food. Place both pans in oven together, and cook.

Source: Got this recipe out of the Birmingham News many years ago.

By one.of.a.kind from Locust Fork, AL

I love mustard in mac n cheese. It's just the right tang to compliment the cheddar cheese. I usually use just yellow mustard, but have used dry as well, and I like it.

One, question, tho: I have never added eggs to my mac n cheese. Is that a southern thing? What does it do for the end product? Is it stiffer? Does it taste like eggs? Just wondering.

Food and Recipes Recipes PastasFebruary 11, 2010
Chicken Macaroni Salad
Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese