FleasPets

20 Farm Cats with Fleas

I live on a farm with farm cats (20) or so. Have an infestation of fleas and have tried everything. Was wondering if I could make a dip out of the vinegar remedy I have read about and if i can what is the portion of it.

Cindy from Eastern South Dakota

I would suggest an exterminator that uses Nematodes, and sprays it anywhere outside, and at your windows and doorways (outside). The cats can be present, as it is absolutely not harmful to mammals of any kind. The best scenario would be to have the exterminator come either during the rain, or after, as moisture just makes the nematodes more effective immediately. If you cannot arrange that, perhaps you could lightly water any area they have put the nematodes down. I live in San Diego, CA and have little rain. My puppy stays outside when they are spraying, and since my back yard is sparse on grass, I can't water it, or she will play in the damp earth and create a muddy mess. The exterminator company charges me $38/month for their services (including spraying on my back porch for ants) and are full service for any other need you may have, like termites. The name of the company is Stock Exterminators and they may be able to give you a reference to a reliable company where you live. The phone # 1800-339-1679. I hope things work out for you! Please let me know via hearts1 AT cox.net

I am not sure if my girlfriend did this for ticks and/or fleas...she would take a little minced garlic and mix with a teaspoon of oil then mix it into their food. She told me the oil was good for their coats and the garlic was for pests! Good luck on your search!

Brewers yeast tablets ( 2 a day per cat) used to keep my old cat free of fleas. I used to feed them by hand and he ate them like treats, but you could grind them up in the food.

Frontline is the very best way to rid your cats of flees. I know it's expensive, but a friend of mine once told me that when a box gets to the expiration date, her vet gives it away! Sometimes she got the dog packs, which are the same medicine, just in a larger dose, so she used one dog dose for 2 cats. Maybe you could call some local vets and pet stores that sell frontline and ask what they do with their products once they reach the expiration date.