Covering Ceiling Tiles With Fabric

contest winner icon

I searched everywhere on the web to find a solution for the ugly drop ceiling panels on my ceiling when I decided to move our bedroom to the basement.

Replacement panels in metal and wood are beautiful, but very costly. I tried standard wallpaper which was beautiful, but realized it wasn't long enough for all the panels and would require commercial grade to get the lengths I needed which is costly. I tried painting them. Yuck! To spray texture would have also been expensive.

So, I purchased flannel backed, vinyl fabric that is extra wide from the long bolts at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon. They sold me what they had and ordered the rest to make 21 yards, which is what I figured I needed for a 12 X 18 room. The fabric I chose has a white on white damask floral print.

I removed the panels and painted the gray metal supports to match the fabric. I cut the fabric into the standard squares using the same pattern, since most of the squares in the middle were the same size. The ones around the edges had to be premeasured and fitted.

I used spray adhesive to secure the fabric to the panels. I ironed each panel using the low acrylic setting and a double sheet to protect it from burning and got beautiful results. The total cost of my endeavors was $50 for the fabric on sale, $8 for 2 cans of spray adhesive. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and did it by myself. The only negative is that it is very messy, but it's also a good time to check the wiring and spray for spiders and other bugs that like getting into your basement ceiling.

By Cherith from Concord, NC

We need a picture!

It is a great idea. I bought a home for my daughter and we had no money to pay the high prices for ceiling repairs. We took $1 a yard material that she liked and put it across the ceiling. Then she had some trim she liked and we glued it to the seams. I have no photos because I do not own a digial camera and I do not know how to download photos. It was done in her living and dining room. She has been there for six years and it still looks nice.

Oh, this sounds sooo great! I also have a ceiling that I don't know what to do with besides spending a small fortune to get it completely replaced. Sure wish you had a picture ... or do you know of any website that might have a picture that would be similar to what you did?

Wow, great idea, Cherith! Maybe a photo next? :-)

Trish in CT

You didn't say if this was originally your idea. If it was, you should certainly take credit for it. I think it's a brilliant idea. I may try it myself.

mmm....wonder if I could cut the material large enough and staple the excess to the back of the tile rather than using spray adhesive. If that would work, it would be easier to change in two or three years.

A man replacing a ceiling tile.
Using Suspended Ceiling Tiles
Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousOctober 17, 2007
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile