Kenmore Elite Ice Maker is Rusty

Can someone please help me figure out how to get rid of rust on the ice maker workings? I can't find anyone who's had this problem, so if you can help, I would appreciate it. My fridge is almost ten years old, by the way.

By Alissa from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

I don't have an answer, Alissa, but you're not alone! My GE refrigerator has the same issue. The rust started when it was about 5 years old. It's the big spring-like gear that pushes the cubes along that is rusting.

Several times I pulled out the tray and scrubbed the rust flakes off with a nylon scrubby, but it just comes back eventually. So after awhile I just turned the ice maker off and went back to making my cubes in trays!

I know several people who've had one problem or another with ice makers, but until you posted I thought I was the only one who'd encountered rust!

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesMay 2, 2011
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 8:37:39 AM on 10.0.0.44 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.