Window TreatmentsDecorating

Alternatives to Mini-blinds

I need some cheap, easy, alternatives to mini-blinds for my home. Something that doesn't require sewing or much skill, or much money.

By lasamons

Quickest and cheapest might be to buy inexpensive tension rods and cheap twin size bed-sheets; slip the sheets over the rods and then set the rods inside the window framing.

Easy-peasy, bunch to the side to 'open' the curtains, and simply toss in the wash once or twice a month to remove dust.

LOL, I hate mini-blinds and wish I could talk my husband into letting me do the above to every window in the house!

DH and I just bought a 1950s rancher and we bought pull down shades at Home depot. They are not expensive and are coming back into style. I am in the process of making valances for all the windows. I hate mini blinds and the wider slat horizontal blinds. They are the worst dust harbingers in the world.

I bought roll-up matchstick blinds at Big Lots for less than $5 per window. I like the look and texture they add to the room. However, I find plastic mini blinds to be about the cheapest way to cover your windows. They are around the same price.

I live in an apartment and would like to replace the mini blinds on the back door. Would it be hard to put up something like sheers with a tension rod? Or do you have any other ideas?

By Onesummer

I would think the object of having any covering on windows of any type is for privacy. Sheers don't offer much in the line of privacy.

I have a door with a window in it, and put a roll up type blind, I purchased at home depot. It is very nice, easy to use, and you have complete privacy if you want, or a nice view.

What is wrong with the mini blinds? Is it that they get so dirty and move around too much when you open and shut the door? You can buy some that are encased in glass for certain door windows. They give privacy when closed, you can tilt the blinds open to any angle wanted, or put them all the way up for a full view.

We got ours at Lowes. They are more expensive, but your landlord may pay for it if they would fit your door. Is there enough room to put a tension rod? Most doors don't have enough of a frame around the window to hold a tension rod. If the door isn't wood, you may not want or be allowed to make screw holes in it to hang another type of window treatment.

A magnetic rod would work on a metal door and would be strong enough to hold most fabric treatments. If you decide on sheers, I'd get two rods, one for the top and one for the bottom (casement rods). Have you considered putting up a window film. They now come in patterns, colors, or opaques that allow light through and give privacy. They are relatively cheap and can be taken off when you move.

Anonymous

Whatever you decide be sure to get it in writing from your landlord that it's okay to do. Where I live it's not allowed to remove the blinds but I was allowed to put up my own valances and/or curtains as long as the backing (the side that shows to outdoor viewers) was plain white or cream. I simply purchased the approriate size curtain rods (besides length sizes they are also available in different depths) and placed them just above the existing window blind brackets. Doing this gives a decorative look but also still keeps the option of privacy.