Getting the Most Out of Coloring Books

My kids must have a hundred coloring books laying around that they never pay attention to. I bought a special coloring book, one I liked, and told them it is mine. In the evening before bed, we will color one page in it together. I am going to see if this reignites their interest in coloring and books. If not, I am moving on to a sketch pad and a few colored pencils, etc.

This can also be used as a reward only coloring book, that only mama colors in. Then if they are really great, you can say, "would you like to color a page out of MAMA's coloring book?"

I want them to appreciate what they have so having a hundred of something laying around just wont work. I also like to find ways to make them more happy. It is kind of fun to get into their minds and see how they think!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

Good for you! My mother did that with us when we were growing up. Little things do make a difference!

It became more fun for us because our mother was doing that activity with us. We were eager to have her do other simple but fun activities with us after that. It sparked an interest in arts and crafts for me, which has been a lifelong hobby.

That is a great idea and also doing puzzles with them. Just the other day I too bought my grandchildren a couple of coloring books and like you say they looked at them and that was it. Now when they asked if the coloring book was theirs I too told them it was mine and soon after that I asked them if they wanted to color with me and they were very excited. So I do think if you sit with them like you say it makes it fun.

Check out the free samples of artistic coloring pages at www.doverpublishing.com. Coloring those pages will teach them something, too!

I think you have an excellent idea there with your kids. Too bad more mothers don't think along those lines. One thing I used to do with mine when I could not afford coloring books would to just draw any shape on a piece of paper, just a blob really and then told them to look at it and make a picture out of it. Sometimes they would come up with some really good pictures just by using their imagination. I had twins, so I would have one add something to the shape and then the other one. They enjoyed that one on one time.

Good for you! Any little way we can connect with our kids gets my vote.

I always did things with my kids at some level - from being on the sidelines at almost every team event they were in, to sharing interest in the books and TV programs that interested them, to their choir, drama and band events. I went to football games not even really caring who won, I was there for the marching band, lol! My kids are all grown and leading busy lives, but we still keep in touch thanks to Facebook. :D

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention this. If you have many untouched pages in several different coloring books, maybe you could remove those pages and make a "new" coloring book to give away? Like or similar pages (from each separate previous coloring book) could maybe be its own separate section in the "new" book. Any organization that works with MR/DD people would likely enjoy receiving this, just call and ask.