Toddler With Diarrhea

My 2 year old drank too much milk and now she has diarrhea, is there anything I can do? I gave her milk in the morning and then watered down juice. I just gave her water for the rest of the afternoon and she still had it. Are there any ideas that people have?

By Joannie

No more sugary stuff while her system is getting back to normal. Sugar is hydrophilic (water loving) and will pull more water into her intestines. My daughter would get constipated a lot, and we had to avoid rice because it would make the situation worse. I'd suggest feeding her some bland foods...toast, mashed potatoes, a plain chicken rice soup.

And, please, if you're very concerned you should give her pediatrician's office a call. I can always call and speak to the nurse. If she doesn't have answers for me, she'll check with the doctor and call me back. If they hear anything very worrisome, they'll recommend a visit (although sometimes a call is enough!).

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon. I know that upset tummies are no fun!

Give her a cookie with coconut in it. As an adult, I eat a few flakes of coconut or sprinkle it on my cereal but a toddler might not eat that as easily as a cookie like a macarron. A natural remedy.

My pediatrician had us use the <b>BRATY</b> diet: <b>B</b>ananas, <b>R</b>ice, <b>A</b>pplesauce, <b>T</b>oast, and <b>Y</b>ogurt. These foods are the best foods for diarrhea and vomiting. Of course, LOTS of water is important to avoid dehydration. Juice is absolutely out. Too much apple juice will give a kid diarrhea. You can also use Pediatlyte or Ensure if your child is sick for several days and you're worried about nutrients. The advice nurse at the doctors office will have more specific recommendations and there's typically no charge for the call.

Boil some rice with a lot of water, let cool, give her the liquid off the rice. This works.

One of my sons was sensitive to milk as an infant. We had to put him on soy milk until he was a toddler. Have you had the child checked for any allergy or sensitivity to dairy products?

I hope you have called your toddlers pediatrician! That is the very best person to ask advice because they know your little one!

When my kids were little and got diarrhea, I made some jello and before the jello gelled, I gave them a glass of "jello water". It always seemed to help, plus it got some liquids into them. They always liked it. I don't know if that is what the pediatrician would recommend, but it worked for us.

Try the BRAT diet, B-banana, R-rice, A-applesauce, T- toast, plain. This is a very old remedy, which was used for my mom, me, my kids, etc. Usually works. No more juice.

I feel your pain. My 13 month old has had diarrhea for 24 days. We did stool testing, today we did blood draw. She had diarrhea two months ago, also lasting about three weeks before it finally cleared up. She has no other symptoms except very mucusy stool. But when it lasts this long it is hard to tell what else may be impacting the problem. She has been teething some, also came down with another viral illness after about one week into the diarrhea, but that supposedly cleared up according to her pediatrician. I'm at a complete loss as well. We're going to wait for the blood workup to come back and then go from there to a ped GI specialist if no definite results. I hope your son gets better soon. I will post an update on our situation.

Mother soothing a toddler age girl.
Toddler With Diarrhea
Parenting Toddler and Preschooler HealthMay 24, 2010
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Toddler Restaurant Kit
Making a Toddler Restaurant Kit
Sick pug at the vet.
Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
🎄