Beer-Steamed Clams

• 2 lbs. live, cherry, or little neck, clams, cleaned
  • 1-1/2 bottles of dark beer (about 18 ounces)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Ad
  • 1 loaf crusty bread

• 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
  • Salt to taste

Place the clams in the bottom of a clam steamer of a deep boiling pot (I use a wire basket sitting on a steel rack to fit bottom of pan). Add the beer to completely cover the clams, then add the bay leaves and the lemon juice. Cover the pot and bring the beer to a boil. Steam until the clams are open, about 3 to 5 minutes.

While the clams are steaming, melt the butter over low heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add the chopped onion, parsley and salt to taste. Remove clams from the heat and discard the liquid. (I use the liquid and mix well with the sauce). Discard any unopened clams. With a slotted spoon, place the clams in the sauce mixed with the cooking liquid, if desired. Otherwise, place them in only the sauce. Serve with the crusty bread.

Source: I got this recipe by bits and pieces or for what my ladyfriend could remember, then I improvised and came up with this method for steamed clams. Have had many ask for this recipe.

By Connie from Cotter, AR

beer bread
Recipes Using Beer
Food and Recipes Recipes SeafoodJune 4, 2008
Making Ginger Beer
Making Ginger Beer
Shucking Clams
Shucking Clams
Glass of stout with hops scattered in foreground and keg in backgroung.
Storing Beer
A loaf of freshly baked homemade bread.
Beer Bread Recipes