Buying Large Cans of Tomato Paste

I buy the larger, more economical can of tomato paste and then measure it out by tablespoons onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze until solid and then put the tablespoons of tomato paste into a ziploc bag in your freezer. You'll always have tomato paste for your recipe and it's pre-measured and ready to go!

By Celinda from Pittsburgh, PA

I use plastic ice trays for this purpose. Each little well holds about a tablespoon. I fill, freeze, then pop out and store the cubes in the freezer in ziplock bags, ready for use a tablespoon at a time. This is also good for eggbeaters (1 well=1 egg).

I also do this with sofrito and chilis en adobo.

I bought 6 lbs tomato paste for 3.99 today. Following your advice (and improvising) I will use my ice cream scoops (1 oz and 4 oz) put on waxed paper to freeze and then store in zip lock bags in my freezer. Thanks for the great ideas.

That is a great idea. I buy the large cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes from Sam's Club and make huge batches of spaghetti sauce and salsa and can them. Because they are tomato based you only need the water bath canner. SO EASY!

I freeze tomato paste in 1 qt milk cartons. It doesn't freeze very hard because of the relatively high solids to water ratio. I just cut or shave off whatever I need, cutting right through the carton.