Some of the earrings I wear have caused my ear lobes to break out, get itchy and turn red. I find that by putting clear nail polish on the backs of those earrings, I am able to still wear the earrings I really like. After some use, I find I need to re-apply the polish. It works great.
You may have an allergy to nickel, which alot of the cheaper jewelry is made from. I have found a brand that is nickel free, and inexpensive, that they carry at Wal-Mart.
I have had this same problem. I tried everything from "hypo-allergenic" products, painting with nail polish, using the little plastic sleeves, silver, expensive gold, having the jeweler coat the posts of my absolute favorite earings with titanium. I finally gave up. The nickle was just too much.
Then, one day, I got up my courage to go into some of the tatoo and piercing parlors...I tell you I had to get up my courage (I am 53.) I figured they would know the answer, and have LOTS of experience.
I talked to several before I found one that I felt comfortable with. I went in to get repierced. It turned out I just needed to have the holes stretched. I had a choice of several different kinds of-IMPLANT GRADE SURGICAL STEEL. This is very important to remember: IMPLANT GRADE.
After a short (3 week period) of the micro tears healing, I am happily wearing my hoops with a choice of "jewel beads". And they aren't too expensive. I can switch out the colored beads at 50 cents a piece!
I have the same problem. I have good luck dipping the earring post in antibiotic ointment before inserting in my ears. Carol
I would bet you have a nickel allergy (I do). Look for earrings labeled "nickel free". A company called "Simply Whispers" sells only nickel-free jewelry (mostly earrings). I think their web address is simplywhispers.com (if this doesn't work, do a search on the internet). I was never successful with any type of cover-up measures (painting the posts with clear nail polish, etc)
I get itchy ears sometimes (even with high quality earrings) It's not about the surface metal but the alloy under it. Gold needs a "hardener" as it is a very soft metal. Sometimes the ears itch and sometimes not, To be in the safe side I dip the post in a piece of cotton dampened with alcohol and I use Polysporin on both sides of my earlobes. This works very well about 95% of the time.Dr. says it's a nickel allergy which many of us have, Try this method. Good luck!
If you have trouble with a nickel allergy & use clip ons - as I do - you can cover the part that touches the skin with non-allergenic clear porous surgical tape.
I have a nickel allergy & can only wear silver jewelry - I have found that religious stores carry stainless steel chains that look like silver, are very durable, and non-allergenic. It's the only thing I can wear all the time. (You can also cover the back parts of costume jewelry you wear occasionally with the tape.)
I've gotten my ears pierced on Christmas Eve of 2006, and they are still not healed. This morning, my right earring had a whole covering of dried skin and even a little bit of dried blood over it. The dry layer was easy to take off, but it was still red underneath. My left earring had a thin layer of yellow, sticky stuff over it. Both earrings seem to be flat with the surface of my ear--it seems to sink in. The earrings were $30, and I'm sure that I bought ones that were nickel-free. They are sometimes still itchy, though, and yellow liquid occasionally drips out. The doctor said that it wasn't infected--it was an allergy. He also suggested to use clear nail polish, but I don't know where to apply the polish. Where do you apply the polish?
(and are there any other solutions to make my earrings better?)
Lana, I would recommend going and getting some steel piercing hoops and putting them in place of posts. You can slide them around and they are easier to keep clean. Also use rubbing alcohol or a cleanser recommended by any piercing salon. I would clean them twice a day, morning and night. A little bit of yellow is normal but they should heal up and not really need any special care. If this doesn't help, you might want to try 14k gold earrings. You should be able to get them for not too much money. Some people have allergic reactions to everything but gold. But wear hoops until they are no longer sore and oozy.
One of my sister's is allergic to even 14 K gold and needs to get 18K gold earrings so until they heal, it might be worth getting some high gold earrings. It seems to me that they should have healed by now so a metal allergy seems likely.
Visit www.EarringDoctor.com and look for Reaction Block. This product is dematology endorsed and has been used for over 20 years.
It will stop the itch when you brush on a clear coating on any metal that touches your skin. This puts a hypo allergenic buffer between your skin and the metal. Works great on all metal surfaces that touch and irritate your skin.
go to Nancy D online and find great nickel-free earrings - - I could NEVER wear earrings until I tried them, and now I am great. She hand-makes them in the USA !!!
DO NOT use metal hoops if your ears have been pierced in the past 6 months (for lobe) or 12 months (for cartilage). Doing so will curve the hole, making it difficult to get straight posts in the ear. And if you do manage to get a straight post back in, it will be crooked, and droop.
-Profesional ear piercer
I re-pierced mine myself which may not be the best idea, but I put in some earrings from Claire's about 3 days ago. I clean my ears every night (now i know I must take care of them every morning). They are now becoming itchy as of today. Should I change earrings?
I took mine out briefly to clean them. I swapped them, and I guess that was to soon. s there still hope?
please email me for your responses at tastyaliens AT gmail.com
The walmart earrings have a low-nickle coating that wears off, especially after getting wet. But at $5 for a set of like 10, they are worth the limited time you get to use it, since it's so much variety. I only wear earrings when i dress up a bit, so they are fine for me; don't need to go spend $100 or more on 18k gold (14k is bad for me too...)
I really don't recommend coating your earring studs in nail polish to use as a barrier to nickle. While I agree that this is an inexpensive method, it's also a method that could be hazardous to your health in other ways. Piercings are sensitive alterations to the body and can become infected at multiple times during one's life. Nail polish contains some of the most bio hazardous chemicals on the face of the planet. Putting it on your finger nails is one thing, but putting those chemicals in such close contact with a piercing is allowing toxins that are linked to cancer and other health problems enter your body. The reason why you have to reapply the nail polish is because it wears off into your piercing. This cannot be healthy.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!