Planning Christmas for My Children Without Any Money

Is there any way I can give my family a Christmas. I have 6 kids that I cannot give Christmas to. My husband lost his job. Anyone have any ideas?

Rachael from Lawson, MO

(submitted via email)

Contact your local church for help with the kids and maybe even a job for your husband. Also, the school your attending. As a daycare provider information to pass out to parents in need. For instance through your local workforce funds for transportation and transportation is available. In Texas its called WIA. I have parents that were given funds for work clothes, gas, and one parent is picked up at her job, brought to my house to pick her kids up and taken home daily. Contact your local workforce and begin reaching out to the community. You would be surprised what comes back to you and yours.

I have been there. I have always figured out a way. I have been poor, poor, poor. I am a single mom of two boys and they recently told me, "Mom I had no idea we were ever poor. We always had presents and we thought we always got most of what we ever wanted." I will admit it was easier to "fool" them when they were young. Before I went back to college and earned my engineering was my game...Check out ALL churches, Salvation Army, Goodwill, St. Vincent DePaul, wherever you can find help. There is no pride when it comes to giving kids a Christmas. I don't care-work every angle you can. Speak well, and explain your situation. Tell a person you trust at their school about the predicament. Do what everyone should do but doesn't when they lose a job-TELL EVERYONE. That means everyone. Tell the lady at the grocer that the Reaganomics, trickle down economics finally worked, and that the Wall Street meltdown hit your family and you just don't know what you are going to do. You would be surprised the kind of information, and sometimes even help, you can get by telling everyone. And when all else fails, do what I did, look around the house and everything you see of any value that is less important to you than giving your kids Christmas, collect it all up and decide where to sell it. Craigslist, newspaper ad, ebay, whatever, what you gotta do. Tell people in your posting why you are selling it. Period.

A mom worrying about Christmas.
Planning Christmas for Children Without Any Money
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalDecember 20, 2008
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Father and young girl decorating a Christmas tree
Having a Good Christmas Without Gifts