Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning The Inside of Your Car Windows

I was reading the post about the person who was trying to get wax build up off the outside of their car window. That made me wonder this... what on earth can I use on the inside of my car windows to get them clean and streak free? They don't seem too bad until the sunlight glares off of them and then I can hardly see out them.

Tonya from Tyler, Texas

By

By Ann (Guest Post)03/01/2009

I like the product Invisible Glass with disposable Shop Towels (scott)

By melissa02/04/2009

I use diluted vinagar and old news papers. the news paper dose not leave ink streaks ink is made out of soy now a days. Also the vinagar cuts thru any grease or oils, and does not leave any ordor.
The one thing I found in paper towels there are glues and oils and tons of lint left on the window .

I always use vinagar and baking powder as all natural cleaners esp since we have house rabbits.

By Tommy Hatcher (Guest Post)04/07/2008

all of that works great - but just go and buy Eagle 1 windows cleaner at an auto parts its just about $4.00 a bottle and all you do is spray and wipe - ONCE - no streaks

By robert (Guest Post)09/22/2007

I do believe the inside of the windshield gets oily because of what you use to clean your dash..I think the sun draws the greasy film off the dash to the windshield. so I just clean my dash with the shamois after I dry mr truck (its damp). I also find surgical rags work great and they are lint free. You can get the surgical rags off the internet. I just bought 6 dozen for $20.00. Hope this helps. Robert

By Richard (Guest Post)04/10/2006

First clean with vinegar and water, then go over again with Windex or ammonia-based cleaner. The reaction of the two will dissolve the oily film and vinegar smell. Paper towels are more convenient than newspaper if you want to avoid black finger marks all over the place.

By Donna (Guest Post)01/30/2006

Use vinegar and water, and the very best thing to use to wipe them clean is NEWSPAPER. I use to do New Home Construction cleaning, and this is all I ever used. A great way to use up recycled newspaper. Trust me.

By pam (Guest Post)01/30/2006

I have found that using Dawn dishwashing liquid, as you would for your dishes, works as well as anything. I am a smoker, and this seems to cut through the smoke and oily build-up. I just fill a pail, and use a cloth to wipe the window, then dry with a dry cloth.

By Susanne (Guest Post)01/28/2006

Just a reminder: If you had your car windows tinted like we have, you are only able to use water and a little vinegar.
Other products damage the tint we were told by the installer.

By Margie Minard (Guest Post)01/27/2006

About the only thing I've found so far, is an old window cleaner spray bottle full of water with a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar and another couple of ammonia. Spray the window and then I've tried the new streak free Bounty towels. I never tried the alcohol, but think I will!! Good luck.

By Denise (Guest Post)01/27/2006

When I clean the insides of car windows, I use a window cleaner and old newpaper. My Dad taught me this trick. You'd be surprised what a nice job it will do!

By Tonya [7]01/27/2006

Thanks for the tips. I don't smoke or allow smoking in my car so I know that's not it. I had wondered if the oils and stuff from outside the car get sucked in like through the a/c vents. I always run my a/c. I think I have one of those microfiber cloths. Maybe I'll combine that with the alcohol. LOL Hey - as long as it's not lethal, right? Thanks again.

Tonya

By Dean (Guest Post)01/27/2006

The build up on the inside on the glass(if you don't smoke) is from the plastersizing of the chemicals from the interior dashboard and other items.First I wipe all the inside windows with a soft towel to remove the film.Then I use a window cleaner with some rubbing alcohol added.

By Rebekah [1]01/27/2006

I like to use rubbing alcohol but only with all the doors open and in the garage with the door open. It really cuts through anything including nicotine (thank goodness DH finally quit!) and doesn't streak.

By SL Edens [1]01/27/2006

Microfiber cloths and, believe it or not, just water!!! You'll be amazed.