Can I Continue Using a Damaged Pot?

I dumbly left a pot on the stovetop too long and the bottom of the pot burned. (There was no more water left.) I boiled a mixture of vinegar and water in the pot and all the char came off. Only, now, there are little white holes on the bottom of the pot. My question: is it unsafe to keep using this pot? It is stainless steel.

By Schazi from Chicago, IL

Yes! It is unsafe and throw the pot out in the garbage.

Most of my pots are nonstick, so I would probably toss it. (I've done it many times.) However, you could contact the manufacturer and ask them. Most brand names have a website with a 800 customer service number. Or email with a picture of the inside of the pot and your question.

Stainless Steel is not safe to use for cooking once pitted or dinged because of the metals used to make the steel but don't just throw it in the garbage! You can use it as a flower pot or to water flowers or to store items in under the sink or for crafts or for any number of other ideas!

I recently had a very large pot start losing its Teflon coating so I now use it to soak my feet or put my vinegar and water solution in to for cleaning chores around the apartment. Waste not, want not is my motto and it's better to reuse somehow rather than put in a landfill. ;-)

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyOctober 26, 2010
Crochet Pot Scrubber
Making a Crochet Pot Scrubber
Turkey Pot Pie
Turkey Pot Pie Recipes
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub