Getting a Job With a High School Diploma

I need a job. What good job can I get with a high school diploma?

By Latoya from Goldsboro, NC

You can't unless you are a genius in some way. Go back to school for your diploma, and go on to college. Even college degrees don't guarantee anything. In the meantime, your only choices are fast food, retail and lower level sales, and manual work. So be prepared to work hard! And think about finishing your education! Times they are a changin & getting harder for those without an education.

You might be lucky & get a good job or go into business for your self. As you might know Bill Gates dropped out of college & got rich, so think about what you like to do; sewing, baking,farming, gardening, baby sitting, sitting with home bound people, cleaning business, lawn service(cutting grass). You might get rich, good luck.

I guess I wouldn't put down working at fast food. Young people, if they are good workers, can easily and rapidly move up to a managerial position. They won't become rich, but I have known some young managers of fast food places that are single parents and living comfortably off their wages, get a new car every 5 -6 years, etc. They are making more per year than I did when I taught school back in the sixties. They also have benefits.

I worked in a fast food place for a couple years, as a flunky, because I needed a job and I was in my fifties. I actually enjoyed it and dealing with the people I waited on. The type of job a person wants should depend on the type of person they are. Happiness is what you make out of what you have. The thing is to take the first job you can get and be on the look out for something you like better and that pays better.

There are still many opportunities for someone with a high school education. If you know how to type or use a computer, there are clerical positions to be had, most will need to train you for what you will be doing anyway. Check with your state for state jobs. I live in Missouri and they give a test once a month at one of the local colleges; call your employment office, sign up for temp work - they will know what you qualify for and who can use you. Many temp jobs work into full-time jobs. I never had a college education, but always worked full-time my whole life. I never ever worked fast food and I only occasionally had sales positions as small part-time jobs to help when I had extra bills.

First of all to pamphyila. You absolutely CAN get a good job without a college education and that was a rude and uneducated (ironically) response to her question as well as completely unhelpful! Also, if you had read correctly, she does have a high school education.

Secondly, I don't have a college education and I have, and have always had, a great job. My number one piece of advice would be to either call or look up on the internet, your local Civil Service office. I took 4 civil service exams in June and by October I had a great job working in a public school library with wonderful benefits and decent pay. Granted, with a college education my pay would be higher, and I do plan to go to school online but this is a wonderful starting off place. I would start there and see where it takes you. Good luck, never give up, and never ever let anyone tell you that you aren't educated just because you didn't go to college.

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada the trades are the way to go with a high school diploma. Right now people working in the trades, construction etc are making more than people who went to college! Your can learn lots in the trades industry. You never know you may find something you really like, listen, learn and maybe in 5-10 years you may start your own company!

If you have a Sam's Club, BJ's or Costco in your area, apply there. I used to work at Sam's Club for 14 years and had full benefits and made decent money with no college degree. You could also work and go to college classes online if there is an area you would like to study. Good luck!

A high school graduate holding a sign that says hire me.
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobDecember 28, 2009
Photo of a large high school and its football field.
High School Activities Ideas
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
High School Graduation Party Cupcakes
High School Graduation Party Ideas
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion
🎄