How To Care For Shasta Daisies

I have been given Shasta Daisies by the wind or birds. How do I care for them? Do I fertilize them or not? Thanks.

My mother has raised the Shasta Daisies for years. she is 88 and very active in her yard. she gave me my start. Here in Texas they require very little care, other then good soil and water. They come back year after year more and more of them. I started out with a very small bed of them with only a few plants and now have about a 10 feet square full of them. They bloom every spring. we put cow marure on the soil, just a thin layer over top and dig and mix into soil, before planting and water good. Water every few days.

Thanks Nancy. they are beautiful and grow so high. Had seen them in flower/plant shops but not able to afford them. Think here in Maine need little care also

Thanks Nancy, they are beautiful and grow so high, thought they were weeds at first. have no idea how long they had been growing due to mowing, weedwacking; even have them among the tree roots. Seems here in Maine they need little care also, but seem to like water on occasion. Did try to feed and bottom leaves turned yellowish brown. What can I do to fix this? Have tried to wash the excess food away by over watering when done.

Hi Annette - Shasta daisies need very little fertilizer. I just add compost around my flower beds once every year or two and they love it. There is nothing much you can do once the leaves turn yellowish brown. Watering them was good, but hopefully that is all the damage the fertilizer did. May I ask what you used? Organic fertilizers will not "burn" your plants, so you may want to concider changing your fertilizer.

Up here in Canada they are most definitely a weed. Many of my family are farmers and and hate shasta daisies which are not only insidious but remarkably hardy. They're difficult to get rid of! The point of my comments? If farmers up here try everything to kill the things (herbicides, plowing them under) and the damnable things continue to thrive? They just can't be at all difficult to raise.

Cheers,

Rose Anne

We got a few Shasta daisies a few years ago because my daughter loves them. We basically stuck the mail-order roots in the ground (turned-over garden soil) and ignored them. They stay green through the winter (in the mountains at 41 degrees latitude--not warm!), and spring up to 5 feet tall in the summer. They've gotten so big we're moving them out of the garden, to a part of the yard we'd otherwise think appropriate for shrubbery. We get lots of compliments on them from our neighbors, and my daughter (age 14) absolutely delights in them. But as far as care ... when the flowers fade and the stalks start to look old, we snip them off almost to ground level to make room for new ones to replace them. That's it. Really.

Went out this morning and measured the daisy's. The flowers are 1/4 " dozens of them .it has 5 shoots up from the root at 1-1/2" must be 4' as I'm 5'2 and they are above my shoulder. They do not stink as have been told. Is this a Shasta? Picked some dried ones to plant in peat box. Thanks for all the advise/help appreciate it.

To Adina 72 I used "Schultz Starter Plus root stimulator solution". Picked the brown leaves off and now they are looking good. Think will will avoid fertilizing them next year. Seems like they are sensitive . and yet the soil is very hard Thanks for help/advise

Shasta daisy's are easy to grow and will spread so make sure you have them somewhere where you have lots of space. If not, you might want to transplant them this fall. You can give them some Miracle Gro once in a while to keep them blooming and looking nice.

I ignore my Shasta daisies. I dont water or fertilize them, but I guess that wouldnt hurt. (lol) If you cut off the spent blossoms, they rebloom!!

I also have problems with Shasta Daisies. When I bought and planted them they each had 4 or 5 flowers on them. I amended the soil, water them regularly, removed the spent blooms, and have given them miracle grow once since then. The plants look very healthy, but they have not bloomed again, and have not grown in size all summer. Any ideas?

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersAugust 6, 2007
Growing Gloriosa Daisies
Growing Gloriosa Daisies
Making Paper Daisies
Making Paper Daisies
African Daisy Photo
Growing African Daisies
Shasta Daisies
Growing Shasta Daisy
🎄