Removing Wax From Hardwood Floors

I am looking for tips for wax removal from finished hardwood floors?

Leslie from San Pedro

I had the same problem. Our "cat" knocked over a candle and the wax got all over our brand new wood floor! I looked everywhere for help and find none!

We came up with this and it worked pretty good! We used a credit card! Yes! We carefully scraped up the wax and got almost all of it. After that I used hot ( as hot as I could stand it anyway) water in a bowl and wiped up the leftover! Dry after each wash and be careful, the floor was very slick for a while afterwards! But at least the wax was gone! I hope this helps!

'First' magazine suggests that, since scraping can possibly damage the finish, you should "melt the wax with a hair dryer set on low, then wipe it up with a paper towel. Then apply 1 tsp vinegar to a damp sponge and wipe the area. The heat softens the wax so it can easily be mopped up, while the vinegar's acetic acid dissolves any remaining residue". - Weird that I just read this tip yesterday. It's from their January 9th issue.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringSeptember 28, 2006
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Hardwood Floors
Making Hardwood Floors Less Slippery
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors