FlooringHome Improvement

Removing Wax From Hardwood Floors

Category Flooring

I am looking for tips for wax removal from finished hardwood floors?

Leslie from San Pedro

Hi,

I had the same problem. Our "cat" knocked over a candle and the wax got all over our brand new wood floor! I looked everywhere for help and find none!

We came up with this and it worked pretty good! We used a credit card! Yes! We carefully scraped up the wax and got almost all of it. After that I used hot ( as hot as I could stand it anyway) water in a bowl and wiped up the leftover! Dry after each wash and be careful, the floor was very slick for a while afterwards! But at least the wax was gone! I hope this helps!

'First' magazine suggests that, since scraping can possibly damage the finish, you should "melt the wax with a hair dryer set on low, then wipe it up with a paper towel. Then apply 1 tsp vinegar to a damp sponge and wipe the area. The heat softens the wax so it can easily be mopped up, while the vinegar's acetic acid dissolves any remaining residue". - Weird that I just read this tip yesterday. It's from their January 9th issue.