How Can I Tenderize Beef Brisket?

Category Meat
An uncooked beef brisket on a white background.
This is a guide about how can I tenderize beef brisket? Low temperature and wrapping your brisket for slow cooking, can help make it moist and tender.

I was trying to buy a flank steak, but accidently bought a beef brisket. My husband says they are very tough and marinating won't help.

I'm not fond of chemicals,Is there a way to tenderize this without buying equipment?

I would LOVE a melt-in-your-mouth recipe to make my husband proud!

Thank you,

Thriftyone

Best Answer

After years of experimenting with brisket, I finally begged a friend to share her brisket cooking secrets. No secret ingredients, in fact no ingredients at all. Put the brisket in a pan, seal up the top tight with foil. At bedtime, put the oven in 260 degree oven. In the morning, turn the oven off and let the brisket just sit in there another 2 hours. Tender and scrumptious everytime.

Best Answer

No tenderizer needed, it's all in the cooking. I do mine in a shallow roasting pan / cake pan, one with about 2" walls .. coat the brisket with your favorite spices, I love to cover the meat itself with slices of Spanish onion, then wrap the thing tightly with aluminum foil. You want as little moisture to escape as you can. Cook at around 250 degrees, for 4 or 5 hours. It will be so tender it will fall apart as you slice it, and tastes fantastic. The juices in the bottom of your pan make great gravy, and there is very little fat.

Season with your preferred seasonings. Wrap tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil. Make sure it is TIGHTLY sealed.........maybe double wrap it! Bake at 250 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. When you slice it be sure to cut ACROSS the grain of the meat.

I marinate my brisket with Worcester sauce overnight. I poke holes on it, apply any type of seasoning that you may like, and pour the sauce ALL over the brisket. Don't hold back on using the sauce, I have rec'd compliments on my brisket every time I make it. It comes out very tender and juicy. Before cooking the brisket make sure you add more seasoning, it tends to run with the sauce, and drain the Worcester sauce before baking. You'll have a delicious and juicy brisker each and every time!

Here is the recipe I always use:

Barbecue Beef Brisket

5-6 lb. beef brisket

1 (4-oz.) bottle liquid smoke

1 T. Worcestershire sauce

1 T. onion salt

1 T. celery salt

1 T. garlic salt

Pepper

Bottle BBQ Sauce

Mix liquid smoke, Worcestershire, onion salt, celery salt, garlic salt and pepper, and pour over meat in baking pan. Cover and marinate overnight. Preheat oven to 250 degrees and cook covered for 5-6 hours or until tender. Pour off all juices. Drain fat. Slice meat and pour BBQ sauce over meat. Cover and cook an additional 45 minutes.

Trudy

www.mo3bk.com

Vinegar tenderizes meat, just rub vinegar on it then season with what you like, let it marinated for 4 hrs or overnight and then bake it in the oven. I bake for about 30 minutes on 450 then turn it down to 200 and bake for 6 hrs, melt in your mouth tender every time

Whether you are cooking a brisket on a grill or in the oven the secret to tender brisket is it being DONE....

A brisket that isn't done is like shoe leather.

here's my recipe for the oven version:

I take my brisket and cut it in half. I then brown it on both sides in my iron skillet.

I put it a baking pan and fill with water. Cover with foil. Put in the oven and cook @ 350, for a few hours.

About 30 minutes or so before I am going to serve it. I take the foil off, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder or salt.

NEVER salt before done, makes it tough....

My briskets always come out totally tender, fall apart tender..... don't need a knife tender...

yummay! heck, now I'm hungry for brisket!! lol

There is a restaurant in Fort Worth TX, called Sammie's bbq that sell's their BBQ seasoning mix. (it's like 4.50 for a HUGE bottle of powder seasoning)

So when I am cooking on the grill, I use their seasoning all over the brisket. Wrap in foil and let cook slowly on the grill, until DONE.... (again, falling apart tender)

good luck hon!

Anonymous

Okay, now i'm starving for it, too!

Cook it in a crockpot with your favorite seasonings and 1 cup of water or beef broth or wine or fruit juice for 8 to 10 hours. It will be great

My husband and I always use Italian dressing to marinade and tenderize otherwise tough cuts of meat. I also agree that slow long cooking will yield wonderful results. Put the brisket in a pan, pour over a bottle or two of the Italian dressing and leave overnight. Put the meat in a crock pot with the dressing and some water and let it cook all day. You will have a wonderful tender treat with a great flavor. (I usually add extra garlic and onions during the cooking for more flavor.)

This is my favorite beef brisket recipe....."Smoked Beef Brisket". One 3 to 4# Beef Brisket, 1/4 cup liquid smoke, 1/2 teaspoon each of celery salt, garlic salt & onion powder. Sprinkle brisket with liquid smoke & seasonings, wrap meat tightly with heavy duty foil, at this point you can either put it in the fridge overnite to marinate or just place in slow cooker, cover & cook on low 8 to 12 hours, or on high 4 to 6 hours. Serve warm with juices. I always end up plenty of juice with this recipe. Enjoy!!!

Hello,

Here is what I use to tenerize my briskets. I take a can of beer and one bottle of BBQ sauce and put it over my brisket which is in the pan fat side up. Once those items are on the brisket, I then cover the brisket with foil and put it in a 300 degree oven for 7-8 hours or until you are ready to fix dinner. After several hours you have the smell of the brisket in the house and the brisket just comes off the fork very tender and you are not needing a knife at all. My husband just loves my brisket and we start having it several times a year.

Most peolpe slice a brisket wrong to begin with.Be sure to slice it against the grain.If you have a packer trimmed or market trimmed you generally get two different muscle groups of which you will have the grain running two different ways.A brisket flat mostly runs one way.Ask your butcher to show you how the grain runs if you cant figure it out.The next best advice is cheap cuts of meat like brisket need slow moist cooking.You can throw away all your marinates and rubs if you do not do the above.

If those thing doesn't tenderize to your satisfaction, you may have to boil it for 2 hours or more depending on the size of your cut. I've tried beef brisket in a Chinese restaurant called Sam Woo, it's very tender and one of my most favorite dish.

Using a tablespoon or two of vinegar will do it and doesn't leave any after taste.

I use to marinade plain yogurt to tederize tough beef for 1-2hours. Other option is MILK.

The other option is grated a DAIKON (japanese radish) for 1-2hours.

These work pretty well

Here in England, the secret to cooking tender meat is Coleman's English mustard which seals meat and locks in juicy flavour. With a brisket, you will need to put it into a Roman Clay Pot and put it into the oven for 4 or 5 hours. This cut of meat needs moisture and slow roasting. Also a metal pan with a lid is also fine.

Personally I like to smoke it first with about 10 ounces of Hickory (not mesquite) chips. Smoke it for about 2 hrs or so. Then remove it from the smoker. Wrap and seal it in foil, shinney side in(to prevent the foil from retracting the heat) and bake it in the oven for an additional 4 to 6 hours at 250 degrees f. Wrap it in foil so it cooks in its own juices. If you dont have a smoker skip that step. Comes out nice and juicy very tender.

Anonymous

Try orange juice. The acid breaks down the meat. Added bonus is a sweet after grilling