CatsPets

Using Terramycin Powder Instead of Ointment For Cat

Category Cats

I have a cat with an eye problem, she has had for a long time. I have taken her to the Dr. several times for it and it always comes back. She was on terramycin ointment. I bought some terramycin powder when she ran out of it, I just am not sure of how to give it to her. Any suggestions?

Bonny from Mandeville, LA

I'd call the vet and ask.

Ask your vet about a Herpes infection. He/she should be able to test for it. If that is what it is you are going to battle it on and off for some time. But there are meds that will help better than the terramycin. A culture/sensitivity would tell you what antibiotic would work best too. Sometimes it's better to do some workup to get a better diagnosis, then just keep throwing the same medicine at the problem. Usually topical medicines in the eye work better than giving them by mouth too.

A phone call to the vet costs nothing. The powder often comes with a base powder ingredient to carry the active ingredient, and the base material may be too granular and may abrade and damage the cornea (ow!). It may not be sterile enough (terramycin doesn't kill everything). God bless you and try to be as good to your furfriend as you can.