My Dog Died Suddenly

My Shih-tzu of 8 yrs, one morning sounded like she was gagging or ready to vomit. I suspected she was going to vomit, because she made that choking sound when she did. She was on my bed when I heard her and told her to go outside. I followed her to the door and there she collapsed.

I lifted her up and she had her tongue out, so I started to give her CPR, and then she peed maybe less than a minute later. I don't know what happened to her. Has anyone had the same experience? Do you think she had a heart attack? I miss her so much. xoxx

Debbie from Alberta, Canada

Best Answer

So sorry to hear of your loss; it makes it even worse when you don't understand what happened. The same thing happened to me several years ago; I was awakened one morning by the sound of my 2 year old Maltese retching at the foot of the bed. She threw up and collapsed. I located a 24 hour vet and rushed her there; all this time she was totally unresponsive. The vet did all he could for her, (her tongue was hanging out too, by this time), but she died. I could not figure out for the life of me what made her collapse, so when the vet asked if I wanted her autopsied, I agreed, if nothing else but to find out what happened. Turns out she had a congenital heart defect that caused a heart attack. Her loss was made better by knowing what happened to her; I was consumed by guilt, wondering what I could or should have done. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your pet. God bless. Carole

Hi Debbie,

I don't know what happened with your dog, but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. My family suddenly lost our pet of nearly twelve years this summer; one night in his sleep he started having violent seizures and the vet told us the cause was likely a brain tumor. It was absolutely heart-breaking to make the decision to put him to sleep ~ one of the hardest things we've ever gone through. We still miss him terribly.

We have since adopted another dog from the Humane Society and that has helped to ease the ache, though of course he can't take the place of Chance. Rex makes us laugh and is full of fun and we feel good knowing that we were able to provide a good home for another wonderful dog.

My condolences - I do understand what a difficult time this is for you.

Although I don't know why your dog died, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

So sorry to hear of your loss. Our pet of 13 yrs had to be put to sleep because of throat and mouth cancer and it still hurts to think of him. We have adopted another little guy from the Humane Society and he is so much joy. Your pet could have had a heart attack. My brother-in-law's dog of 1 years old died suddenly of a heart attack.

What a heartbreaking experience! I am so sorry for your loss.

Dear Debbie, I'm so sorry for your loss.I hope you find another furbaby to love. My Panda is going to be 14, and I'm not nearly ready to let go when her time comes. God Bless you, Keeper and Panda

Hi Debbie,

Is that you, is it Maddie?

Leona

Dear Debbie,

How terrible for you. I offer my heartfelt condolences. I know the pain of sudden unexpected loss. In the days to come you will find comfort in the joyous memories of the love you have shared. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jazzylazzy

First I am so sorry for your loss. Anyway ask your vet. No I have not had that kind of thing happen, but maybe she was choking on something.

I wish that I had an answer for you, but sorry to say, I don't. We lost our Maverick last year, he was 19, so I know what you are going thru. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. We are furbaby lovers here and get scared thinking of losing them. One site that was a great help to me was the Rainbow Bridge. Please make sure you go there soon and see what all it has. (just google Rainbow Bridge). I hope it helps your grief a bit.

I am sorry to hear about your baby. I can only tell you what happened to my grandson's cat. I was walking the family dog one night in the yard, and I heard their cat of 9 months make that low, gutteral cry they make. It was really loud, and I went to her. She was unsteady and couldn't stand up. I rushed her into the house, and by the time we tried to sit her on the couch, she litteraly cried and fell off.

By the time we got her to the vet, her little heart had stopped.

And that was the problem.

When we found her, she was the smallest and hungriest kitten I had ever seen. She was an orphaned baby who had no one to nurse her or keep her warm. She literally looked like one of those big eyed kittens??

My daughter's hear melted, and then there was four...

The doctor said that sometimes, when a small critter like that isn't allowed to grow and mature at the same rate as a normal kitten, everything inside grows but the heart. He said the time line was just about right, as most don't live to be a year.

Without a necropsy, you won't know. As for the losing the bladder, that is common in everyone when the muscles of the body relax.

If you are pretty sure she didn't have time to suffer, then that is a good way to heal. She was loved, cared for and will be remembered always.

I hope this gave you some answers.

Sandi/Poor But Proud

Sorry to hear about your loss, Debbie.

Hugs, Ruth

I had mine for 12 yrs .For years she would cough until she gagged. I thought she was going to throw-up, then was fine. When she got older, she did this more and more. Over night it seems, she seem to get worse. Took her to the vet, he put her on meds, but no help.The vet finally took x-rays a week later. I had to put her down, almost killed me. The tube to her lungs was closing. To put stence in at her age, chances are, she would not make it off the table. It has been 4 years and it still hurts. I am sorry to hear about, your baby!

Hi Debbie,

I'm Evelyn and my moms foster little old pesty senior Cairns from a rescue. It's tough being a Labbie mix around this herd, but I guess I like them.

We want you to know we are all thinking of you and we send you lots of doggie smooches and big condolences for the loss of your Girl. Don't you worry, she knows you loved her verry, verry much. All of us send you our good thoughts.

Thank you for letting us know!

Hello Debbie

I think the only thing you need to know is that all dogs DO go to heaven. All the wondering and worry about what it was and all that is only going to tear you up inside.The odds of even the vet fixing the problem were slim. So please do not blame yourself it will be hard i know. When you are ready to love another please rescue one. Your baby has hers WINGS. Sorry for your loss and god bless you. connie

Debbie - please accept my condolences. I'm not an expert but it does sound like it was probably a heart attack.

RAINBOW BRIDGE

(Author Unknown)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His/her bright eyes are intent; his/her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly s/he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his/her legs carrying him/her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone form your life but never absent from your heart.

Then together you and your special pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.

:(

I'm so very sorry to hear of this happening to you. I feel your pain and your loss. My question to you since I saw this posted on the webpage I was researching. Were you or had you been using ODO BAN products around the same time this occurred? I was researching their products and your story popped up. Are they related because I don't want to use it if you were. I was about to go buy some. Please, I hope you see this and get back to me.

photo of a dog
Causes of Sudden Death in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 16, 2008
tips for new moms
Time Management Tips for New Moms
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
Headstones on Memorial Day
Celebrating Memorial Day
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
🎄