Treatment Options for Cat with Luxating Patella

My 2 year old female cat has been diagnosed with luxating patella. The cost of an operation is about $800 Au. There is also medication which is like Nurofen for cats. I can't get this unless I go to the vet. This will cost me $82, the medication is only $25 but the cost of the visit takes up the rest. Is there any other way of managing this problem besides the two I have mentioned. There are two vets in this town, one is very expensive but nice and clean and professional. The other is very smelly and cheap. I can't bring myself to take my babies to the cheap one for fear of cross infection.

Sharyl from Jamestown, Australia

Do you have any teaching colleges where you live? If they have a vet program, you could try to get in with them, the students need to learn, and they are well supervised. Hope this helps.

Can you just go to the vet to pick up the medication without taking your cat for an office visit? Our vet doesn't charge the office visit fee when it's a follow-up appointment so if you must take the cat in, you could inquire about getting a break on the office visit fee.

Hi - I have since found out that I can in fact just pick up a supply of the medication without going to the trouble of taking the cat - they do like to check on the cat after about six months but in the meantime I can just go on as i am - the operation will still take place but I can control the problem for a while using the medication. I just need to save the money up for the op - thank you for your feedback

Pets CatsDecember 10, 2008
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Kitchen Window Treatment
Kitchen Window Treatment Color Advice
🎄
🍂