My Frugal Life: Learning to be Frugal

I had always been someone who spent too much on things we just didn't need. I would buy on impulse, and shopped until I dropped. About 6 months ago, I saw a video on YouTube about couponing in Canada, and decided to try it out. So I have been using coupons and price matching at Walmart. I have saved a lot of money doing this as well as obtaining a lot of free items by waiting for things to go on sale.

My partner has always been frugal. He could teach you how to feed 5 people from one meal! He is glad I am starting to be frugal. I also shop at Shopper's Drug Mart for sales and earn points for redemption. I also do swag bucks and earn gift cards.

I make my own laundry soap which costs 1 penny a load. I get 3 bottles of Palmolive dish soap out of one by adding vinegar, salt, and warm water to each bottle. It makes the dishes shine! I use vinegar for all my cleaning now. It gives everything a shine, and is cheap.

I plan our meals from the weekly sales flyers, and do all the cooking in one day for the week. I think before I buy something now! One more tip. Do not shop with kids, if you can help it!

By Tracy C. from Brockville, ON

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Good for you learning to be frugal. I'm would love to hear how much vinegar, Palmolive, salt and water you use to stretch out your dishsoap. I am thinking that will work wonderful on my dishes too thanks in advance from another Tracy.

I second the request for the dish soap stretcher.

Would like to know more about coupons in Canada & the utube video. Also use the Dawn/Salt water mix but for liquid laundry soap. I use salt for many cleaning chores.