Finding and Storing Firewood
For all of us living in areas that get lots of snow we are stocking up now on firewood. Whether you cut it up yourself or have some one else cut and deliver it to you, here are some tips you need to know.
- Do not stack firewood against a fence or building the moisture build up can with time rot your structure or fence.
- Firewood stacks are great places for mice and other rodents to build nests another great reason not to stack against your house or fence.
- Always cover your firewood with a tarp bright colored so if you get snowed in you will be able to find your wood pile. Added bonus, it will keep your wood reasonable dry.
- Contact your local forest service office and the office of land management for firewood cutting permits. Here in Colorado they are about 20.00 a cord. The trees are already down all you have to do is cut and load them. Share with a friend the work and the wood if you can't burn a full cord. Also share with a friend if you don't have a chain saw or rent one for the day.
- Now that you have your wood consider saving all the bark that falls off your logs. You can break it up and use it as landscaping mulch. It is not a great idea to burn it as it can cause creosote build up in your stove or fireplace.
- Don't forget your yule log. Tie a piece of rope around it so when you send your kid out for wood you don't burn it before the big day.
Now you're done. Treat yourself to a hot cup of Cocoa or Coffee and relax, you will be warm this winter.
By Debra in Colorado
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
September 30, 20040 found this helpful
& yet another reason not to stack wood too close to your house is that where there are rodents it is likely there will also be SNAKES!
A friend of mine almost got bitten by a rattler in her pile!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on September 9, 2016 at 11:17:38 AM on 10.0.0.214 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us