Share & Vote

Flower Pot Bird Bath

6 0EmailFollow
Finished birdbath.

Using a few inexpensive terra cotta flower pots you can make a beautiful bird bath for your garden. This is a guide about making a flower pot bird bath.

Video: Making a Flower Pot Bird Bath

This short video show you the steps to making a bird bath with flower pots. View the full project here: Flower Pot Bird Bath

Solutions: Flower Pot Bird Bath

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Terra Cotta Garden Birdbath

Tera cotta birdbath.I just wanted to show my bird bath. I got the idea from one of your readers on I think it turned out quite nicely.

By ragteller from Tofield, AB

Editor's Note: The original project is archived below.

Flower Pot Bird Bath

I really wanted to have a bird bath in our yard, but every time I found one that I liked it was so expensive. I decided to try and make my own using stacked flower pots and saucers. Finished birdbath.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• 3 flower pots (small, medium, and large)
  • 1-2 saucers
  • white primer
  • spray paint, any colors
  • E6000 glue
  • clear coat

1. Spray all of the pots and saucers with primer. Let dry. Apply a second coat if necessary.
  2. Spray the pots and saucers whatever colors you have chosen. Apply as many thin coats as necessary to achieve the desired coverage and color. As I was painting my pots I found that I liked the varying coverage, it had almost a weathered look to it, so I did not continue painting to achieve a perfectly uniform color. Allow to dry.
  3. Painted terra cotta pots and saucers.

4. Once all pieces are dry, apply glue to the bottom edge of the largest pot, then stack the medium sized pot onto it. Apply glue to the medium pot and stack the small pot onto it. Allow these to dry according to the package instructions for the glue.
  5. Stack of painted flower pots for base.

6. Apply glue to the bottom edge of the small pot and center the large saucer onto it. I chose to not glue the small saucer on (so the I could clean both saucers easier), so I balanced it on the edge of the large saucer and used a rock to support it. Allow glue to dry.
  7. Large flower pot saucer glued to base.

8. After all of the glue has thoroughly dried and the bird bath is strong enough to be moved, you can spray it with a few layers of clear coat. It is now ready to go outside for the birds to enjoy!

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Craft Project: Mini Clay Pot Bird Bath

This decorative little bird bath can work as a place to keep stamps, paperclips, safety pins, or even potpourri. It also seems very popular as a Barbie or dollhouse decoration. A small clay pot, clay dish, paint, glue, and wooden birds are the only materials you need to make this a simple and cost-effective craft.

Approximate Time: 10-15 minutes, without drying time

• clay pot - 2 inches tall
  • clay dish - 1 and 1/2 inches wide
  • wood or plastic birds - 1/2 to 1 inch in size
  • dark or forest green paint
  • white paint
  • yellow paint
  • blue paint
  • paintbrush
  • craft glue
  • varnish/sealer (optional)

1. Turn the clay pot upside down and paint it a dark green.
  2. Turn the dish upside down and paint the sides and bottom white.
  3. Paint the lower sides on the dish dark green, as shown in the "Step 1" picture.
  4. Painting mini clay pot birdbath

5. Let the paint dry. Use second coat if needed.
  6. Flip the clay dish over so that it's facing up again. Paint the bottom and lower sides of the inner dish blue and the upper sides of the inner dish dark green, as shown in the "Step 2" picture. Mix a little white with the blue paint to lighten it up before using. Let dry.
  7. Painting interior of clay pot saucer

8. Make a small yellow dot on the painted clay pot. Surround the yellow dot with 5-6 small white dots, making a small flower. Repeat decoration across pot, as shown in the "Step 3" picture. Let dry.
  9. Finished clay pot with painted flowers.

10. You can leave the pot as is, or use a clear varnish coat to help protect your artwork. If you add varnish, let it dry completely before beginning to glue.
  11. Glue the dish to the pot, as shown in the finished project picture. Glue the birds to the side of the dish and let everything dry.
Clay Pot Birdbath

Depending on what you plan on using the mini birdbath for, you can leave the inside of the bath green, or paint it blue. For example, if you plan on filling the birdbath with blue potpourri, then you probably don't need to paint it. If you plan on putting it in front of a dollhouse, then you probably should paint it. But in the end, the choice is all yours, because this is your little work of art!

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Flower Pot Bird Bath.

Question: Bird Safe Paint and Glue for Making a Birdbath

Can the person who posted how to make a terra cotta fountain describe what type of paint will hold up outside and not cause any health issues for birds. Also the same question for the glue she used. Or if anyone can help me with these questions I would be grateful.
Thank you.

By Mikey

Most Recent Answer

By LuAnne G.05/18/2014

Hardware store has a waterproof sealer in some colors, we found one that was for pools ponds/ animal safe to "freshen up" an older bird bath. Worked great just for inside the bowl.

Question: Height of Flower Pot Bird Bath

How tall is the bird bath, and if needed, how do I add more height?

By AnnH. from Shelbyville, IN

Most Recent Answer

By susan [8]03/25/2014

The height depends on the size of the clay pots you use. Since the pots vary, so will your birdbath. Just add an extra pot or use larger ones if you need a taller bird bath.