Income Ideas for a Stay at Home Mom

I am a SAHM with two kids under 2. I was getting disability checks for 1,000 dollars and they have just been turned off. That's 1,000 dollars each month that we won't have and we are barely making it as it is.

I need some advice as to what I can do. I can't afford daycare and I live in a very small town with not much more than a dollar store and a grocery store. I also don't have friends or family to watch the kids for me.

I was thinking of working 6-midnight at the local gas station, but even if they are hiring I'm not sure I can handle that and caring for two babies all day? What are some solutions to caring for the kids, but still making up that extra 1,000 a month?

By Margaret

You have to be able to sleep sometime. Do you have anybody living with you that could care for the kids in the day time while you worked daytime hours. If you got off work at midnight and went directly home, you would be able to sleep until 7-8AM before the kids would be getting up. Just make sure the person that cares for the kids while you work doesn't put them to bed so early that they would get up early. I used to work a midnight shift with a young mother who claimed when she got home a little after 7AM she would doze on the couch and still keep an eye on her two kids. I always questioned that, because they were so small they would need help going potty and getting something to eat.

One option would be to babysit another child or two. My sitter was getting $10/hour for my preschooler. Let's say you get $15/hour for 2 kids. Even if you only have them 20 hours, you'd be earning $300/week. Or if my figures are off for your area, plan to have them as long as it takes you to earn $250/week at whatever you charge. Make yourself stand out by planned trips to the park, nutritious snacks, and so forth. Don't drag them around on your errands, and don't spend the time on your cell phone. Make them the priority while they are with you. Read lots of books. Take them to free story hour at the library. If you can provide a really high level of quality care, the right people will pay what you ask. Good luck!

This is not a suggestion but hearing your story upsets me. This country and some politicians want to throw under the bus the elderly, those who are disabled, mentally handicapped and those who become homeless due to no fault of there own while the rich take and steal from the rest of us. I'm healthy of mind and body and thank God but some members of my family are not and I feel for those less fortunate. Just had to speak my mind.

Not sure about the job front, but have you considered teaming up with another mom in a similar situation? For example, while she is at work, you could watch her children. While you work, she could watch your children. Just an idea, but I don't know if it would work for you.

You can always look at www.WomenForHire.com for help and resources.

Plus call companies you would like to work for and ask about telecommuting positions. To read up on companies look at www.Jigsaw.com and www.RipOffReport.com

Best wishes to you!

Christie

First if you are getting any money for disability you better not work. If you do and they catch you they can make you repay everything and then you get nothing. If you are not getting any money then how about keeping another child. Where I live they get $100 and up each week. Depends on age of child. But I have to wonder why are they cutting out your disability check?

You could make a little bit more income by selling on ebay. You have 2 children and children outgrow their clothes fast. You can sell their outgrown clothes. You can also sell other people's items on a commission basis. Check your attic or basement, closets and other rooms for items that you might want to sell. When all your items are sold, sell your neighbor's stuff on a commission basis.

Because you have a family, I assume that you can cook. Look for people in your neighborhood that want some make ahead meals. You can cook the meals right in your own home, and deliver them later. You can either take your children with you to deliver the food or have someone babysit them for a few hours. People that look for this service are the elderly and people that work 2 or more jobs because they are usually hungry but too exhausted to cook.

Babysitting can bring you in some extra income plus also provide playmates for your own children.

Good luck to you.

I cannot emphasize it more - do not pay any money upfront to start a home-based job. Such jobs are just scams and they are only after your money!

I suggest you try your hands at genuine home-based jobs like medical transcription. The Startup cost is very little, although you may have to take a medical transcription course.

Mom Working From Home
Money Making Tips for Stay at Home Moms
Budget & Finance Making Money Work From HomeMay 9, 2011
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Tips for the Stay at Home Mom
Tips for the Stay at Home Mom
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
A daughter hugging her mother on her birthday.
Birthday Gift Ideas for Your Mom
🎄
🍂