Painting Kitchen With Orangish Oak Cabinets

What color paint would go with orange oak cabinets and a countertop that is St. Lawrence Bedrock color? This a beige color and my flooring is beige mix, also.

By C R from Newfoundland, Canada

June 5, 2011 Flag

We don't have enough money to get new cabinets, nor do we have the time to sand and restain (2 kids under 3!). Our cabinets are oak and stained a pecan color. I don't like how they appear a bit "orangey" looking.

What color would work well on the wall to pull the darker tones out of the cabinets and "mask" the orange a bit? A dark brown? Tan? Light creamy green? I'm scared to paint because I don't want the cabinets to appear any more orange.

By Amanda

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go with a color opposite on the color wheel. This is "gray" the appearance of the color somewhat. Or don't refinish the entire cabinet, try just the doors or the frame space between them, but I would put up some color chips first. If you are limited on time, here is a trick I have used. Using colored pencils or crayons, match the color of the cabinets. Then color other pieces of paper colored the colors you are considering. Or get paint chips and do the same thing. For best results, do this mix and match in the kitchen itself so the lighting will be the same. Good luck.

This will not help you to choose a color but I can tell you that the orangey tone on your cabinets comes from using a poly varnish that is oil based. Always use a water based varnish and you will have no problem. I think Chloe's suggestion is good. I would think a green along the sage lines might look good.

I would think a green shade might work, too. I know that a green concealer works on skin to cover up a red pimple or sore, so it might work to counteract the orange shade.

Any shade of brown will only contrast with the orange shade of your cabinets making it more obvious. Actually going with a color in the orange family like light peach will make the cabinets look more brown. Home Depot and paint stores offer to mix a small jar of paint as a sample for you to try.

March 11, 2010 Flag

What wall color goes with very rich (orangish) golden colored oak kitchen cabinets? I have tried Nantucket Gray (BM paint) and other muted gray greens and they look horrible. I do not know what to do because I have stripped my wall paper and need to paint.

Laurie from Saint Louis

Answers:

Try white walls with a wallpaper border that has a touch of the oak color in it. Or, if you want more color on the walls try a soft subtle melon paint. (08/12/2008)

By Lorelei

Have you considered changing the color of the cabinets? It's easier than you might think. I also had golden oak cabinets. I lightly sanded them, stained them with a darker stain, and added a coat of polyurethane. It was a lot easier than painting them. It looks like a whole new kitchen! (08/13/2008)

By Jean from Raymond, MS

Try a "dusty" green or muted green. It will tone down that orangy color. Look at the color wheel opposite the orange and you'll see the complimentary color. Look right next to orange and you'll see variations that will work.

Good luck! (08/13/2008)

By Melanie

Instead of buying paint in grayish tones, which are the cooler colors, I would look for paint in the warmer tones. Bring home a bunch of paint chips ranging in colors from yellow to melon (as the previous writer suggested) to the different shades of tan or brown to the reds and burgundies. Even some shades of green are in the warmer tones. Then see which paint chip looks better next to your cabinets (08/13/2008)

By Patty Lynn

If you look at paint chips in shades of melon and peach, get the lightest on the chart which is a soft hue of the strongest color. (08/13/2008)

By Lorelei

I thought that maybe a mocha or taupe color may work. (08/13/2008)

By Denise

Our oak cabinets look good with walls that are a very pale yellow, almost a cream color. We wallpapered the back-splash area (one wall behind the sink and stove) with a "faux marble" pattern with shades of dark red, copper and gold. I really love the combination of the oak and dark red, although I wouldn't want it on all the walls, just as an accent color. (08/13/2008)

By ChloeA

How about a very pale blue. (08/13/2008)

By Lily May

Write down the color number/name and take it to the paint store and look at the paint charts they have available. If you look at the lighter shades of a color, you may find one you think compliments your cabinets, provides brightness and is still soft. A worker may help you with finding that perfect shade you're looking for.

Another idea is to paint one wall say in a red-orange or a strong peach color and the other three white. The solid bold colored wall bounces onto the white and provides a tint of the bold color which adds softness, provides brightness, light, emphasis and is clean looking too. (08/16/2008)

By Lorelei

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
Kitchen Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceMarch 11, 2010
White kitchen with right green painted backsplash
Adding Color to My Kitchen Walls
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄