Cleaning a Dusty Coat

I have a wool 60%, rayon, nylon blend coat. It was in my closet for a couple of months and got pretty dusty. I am allergic to dust so if I try to wear it I am overcome by allergies. Are there any suggestions, other than giving it a good shaking which I have tried, that would get the dust out of my coat? I want to see if there is anything I can do before I take it to the dry cleaner. Thanks.

By Dhg87 from San Antonio, TX

Tumble it in the dryer on the fluff or air setting for several minutes. That should get the dust off.

If it has been hanging for a very long time perhaps a dryer sheet when you fluff it in the dryer will help to freshen it up a bit

I agree with the others, put in dryer on air or hang it outside for a day, good luck.

Why don't you use the vacuum cleaner on the coat first? That way you get most of the dust out and then you can put it in the tumble dryer with a dryer sheet on the coldest setting for about 15 min. Alternatively, you can vacuum the coat first and follow up with a treatment of Dryel. That is far cheaper and handier than taking it to the dry cleaner.

Hope it helps. Roxanne

You can tumble it in the dryer on air fluff with no heat. But you know you will not kill the dust mites living in your coat until you take it to the dry cleaner. None of the aforementioned suggestions kills dust mites. I don't think even hanging it in the sun would do that.

Place it in a dryer with a damp towel. That'll get rid of the dust. If it's the dust mites that are bothering you, as Carol in PA suggests, use one of those steam mops -- if you have one. They are made to use not only on floors, but on carpet, pillows, mattresses, drapes, clothing, furniture, etc.

The grocery stores have kits for use in the dryer, possibly you could try one of those.

PS., you can also buy a plastic sheet that fits over the whole row of clothing in the closet and protects it from dust. I have one like this and am amazed at the amount of dust it collects.

I did a quick internet search and found one at Miles Kimball. http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKi ... mp;CollectionID=DC0001322&num=96

I agree that vacuuming first then putting in dryer on fluff or air would be good, but before you do, spray all over with Febreeze Allergen Reducer fabric spray. That includes under any loose lining, down the inside of the sleeves etc. Perhaps a garment bag that repels dust is in order for this coat especially if it is stored every spring.

Washing Wool Clothing
Washing Wool Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing WoolJanuary 10, 2010
A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
A stack of Mexican blankets.
Making a Coat Out of a Blanket
Firgurine of a woman in a red dress.
Dusting Fragile Figurines
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
🎉
🎄