Decorating with Navy Blue Accents

I have a beige couch with hints of red, navy blue, and yellow in the fabric. I have decided to go with navy blue as the main color in the room with slight touches of the others.

My dilemma, I am not sure how many items I should add in the room that are navy. Would bigger navy throw pillows be enough?

By Janae from Mesa, AZ

Don't be in a hurry to get it "just so". Navy throw pillows are a great start but take your time adding items. You don't want to add things to just "add". You want to make sure you really like the item first.

A couple of thoughts though.

Scour CraigsList for a solid piece of furniture to paint in navy. I am thinking more along the lines of a small dresser or buffet or the bottom part of a china cabinet.

If you find some curtains that have a similar beige - which depending on your overall decor can be found cheap via Target, Big Lots, etc in a canvas - you can outline them a small distance on either side with a nice grosgrain ribbon in all three colors (navy, red and yellow). This way you aren't overwhelming the room with the navy but carrying over the red and yellow because having diversity in color for a room helps you find accessories.

Also, keep your eye open for more yellow and red. Vases, candles, etc. Keep some paints around (acrylic craft and spray) so you can revamp things you might see at a thrift shop or on sale that you like the looks of but maybe the color isn't happening.

A grounding color is great and having key pieces of that color like in a piece of furniture, throws, and pillows is needed but having those other colors (the red and yellow) really give a room a much needed kick.

Hope that helps.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AccessoriesFebruary 17, 2010
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
A man in the Navy coming home.
Gift Ideas for Someone in the Navy