Browsing: Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving With You

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving With You

Bed bugs are notorious for hitching a ride in clothing, furniture, and other items when you move. This is a guide about preventing bed bugs from moving with you.

Bed bug next to grains of rice.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 9, 2010 Flag

I recently moved into a house only to find out that its infested with bed bugs. The landlord knew it was infested, but yet let us move in anyway. They had pest control come in and spray, but Ive still got bugs.

I want to move, but don't know my rights here or how to move without leaving everything behind to avoid bringing the bugs with me to a new place. I can barely afford to move let alone buy new furniture. Help. Any suggestions appreciated.

By T from Ontraio, Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are sprays from cdn tire to use in the mean time. Keep vacuuming and discard the remains out side with a spray on the garbage bag keep up on pest control.

Do not thow out your mattress. Buy full mattress covers. The covers will stop the bugs from biting you and it will also kill them as they have no way of getting food. Bought at your local pharmacy. Any items that cannot be washed in hot water in the washing maching will have to be bagged in heavy garbage bags. As for the couch, thow it out. Not much to do to ensure getting rid of the critters inside even with a spay applicaton. Also once all this is done, have the landlord spray the unit completely and if all others in the same apartment building do this, you won't be bothered again. Best of luck.

Cleaning product 409 kills insects fast. I would spray the mattress and all bed frame.

Another way is to put the mattress out doors in cool weather. Bed bugs die in cool temps.

I recently had a problem with bed bugs and I called every pest control getting different quotes that was out of my spending area, However I went into Bed Bath and Beyond and saw a product called Rest Easy. I have no more problems and it was only ten dollars. At least try it, and its safe around pets and it also has this Cinnamon like smell, so, you should try it, it really worked for me.

Read More Answers...

March 9, 2010 Flag

I am experiencing the biting also and have been looking up bed bugs. That could be the problem. I am moving into a new place soon and was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of bed bugs so I don't take them into the new house. Any suggestions?

Jennilynn

Answers:

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving Too

There is some bed bug prevention info at the bottom:

Bed Bug Fact Sheet

What is a Bed Bug?

Adult bed bugs are oval, wingless, and rusty red or mahogany in color. Their bodies are flattened, they have well-developed antennae, their compound eyes are small, and the area behind the head has a leaf like expansion on its sides. Its size depends on how recently it has eaten a blood meal. An unfed bed bug is between 1/4 and 3/8 inches long. The upper surface of its body has a papery, crinkly, flimsy appearance. When engorged with blood, its body becomes elongated and swollen, and its color changes from brown to dull red. Bed bugs are readily distinguished from another more common bloodsucking species, conenose bugs, by their smaller size, more rounded shape, and lack of wings as adults.

Where do you find Bed Bugs?

The common bed bug (Cimex lectularius Linnaeus) probably received its name from its close association with human bedding. Bed bugs often seek refuge in bedding during the day and feed on the bed's occupants at night. In early infestations the bed bugs are found only about the tufts, seams, and folds of mattresses and daybed covers; later they spread to cracks and crevices in the bedsteads. If allowed to multiply, they establish themselves behind baseboards, window and door casings, pictures, and moldings, and in furniture, loosened wallpaper, and cracks in plaster and partitions.

In the past, the presence of bed bugs was thought to be related to poor housekeeping; however, this is not necessarily the case. Since the bug is wingless, it hitches a ride from infested areas to non-infested areas. Bed bugs are transported on clothing, in luggage, in furniture or bedding that is being moved. A dwelling can become infested by moving an infested piece of furniture into the home. In addition, some bug species are closely associated with bird nests, bat roosts, and chicken houses because these bugs feed on birds and bats.

What do Bed Bugs feed on?

While bed bugs feed primarily on blood of humans, they also feed on other mammals, poultry, and other birds. A bed bug generally feeds at night, but if it is hungry and the area has a dim light, it may feed during the day. A bed bug generally pierces the skin of humans as they sleep. It injects a fluid into the human skin to aid in obtaining blood. Often this fluid causes a welt on the skin that becomes irritated, inflamed, and itchy. If left undisturbed, a full-grown bed bug becomes engorged with blood in 3 to 5 minutes. It then crawls into hiding, remaining there for several days to digest its meal. When hunger returns, the bug emerges from hiding and seeks another blood meal. Bed bugs can go without feeding for 80 to 140 days; older stages can survive longer without feeding than younger ones. Adults have survived without food for as long as 550 days. A bed bug can take six times its weight in blood, and feeding can take 3 to 10 minutes. Adults live about 10 months and there can be up to 3 to 4 generations of bed bugs per year.

Do Bed Bugs transmit disease?

Bed bugs are not usually considered to be disease carriers. They suck blood from their host with piercing mouthparts. Saliva that is injected during the feeding can produce large swellings on the skin that itch and may become irritated and infected when scratched. In addition, bed bugs have stink glands that leave odors.

What is Bed Bug's Life Cycle?

The adult female bed bug lays one to five eggs per day. She may lay a total of 200 eggs when well fed and temperatures are higher than 70 degrees F. The eggs are sticky when freshly laid so they adhere to the object on which they are placed. Eggs hatch in six to 17 days. At lower temperatures, hatching may take as long as 28 days.

Newly hatched bugs feed immediately when food is available. They molt five times (i.e., they shed their outer skin or exoskeleton in order to grow) before reaching maturity, feeding between each molt. The young bugs may live for several weeks without feeding during warm weather and for several months during cool weather. A single bug will live for 10 months when it can obtain food. Under some conditions, it may live a year or longer without food. There may be three or more generations per year.

What can I do in my home to help reduce the infestation of Beg Bugs?

First, thoroughly clean the areas of the bedroom(s) where the bugs are likely to be found, such as bedding, linens, curtains, rugs and carpets, etc. Washing in hot water and the use of a dryer set at a high temperature is best for those things that can be washed since the heat will kill these pests.

Secondly, wipe away all dust from the bed frame and other nearby furniture as well as the floors. If you have carpet, vacuum it very carefully to ensure that most of the bugs have been picked up. Also, thoroughly vacuum any mattresses in the room.

Additionally, you may consider the using an over the counter bedding spray to treat bed bugs. Bedding sprays and lice treatments may be effective, and are available at most pharmacy stores. Make sure to read all label directions carefully before buying the product, and again before using it to ensure its proper use. Apply the bedding spray in every crack and crevice on the floor, in the bed itself, in the baseboards and any carpets or rugs. Do not over spray, especially in and around beds. Bedbugs live in cracks and crevices during the day and emerge at night, so be very careful to make sure you have treated all areas.

You may also consider calling a licensed professional exterminator. Check the local Yellow Pages for listings of licensed professionals.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/vector/vector-faq1.html (08/15/2004)

By Anne H.

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving Too

Here's some more info. It sounds to me like you are going to want to make sure that you wash bedding and clothing in hot water before you pack it, that should take care of it.

How to get rid of bed bugs

To get rid of bed bugs you can:

Bed bugs can be difficult to get rid of because they hide so well. If two weeks have passed since you first tried to rid your home of bed bugs and you still notice signs of bed bugs, repeat the above steps. For heavy infestations contact a pest control service.

http://www.denvergov.org/AnimalControl/template2672.asp (08/15/2004)

By Anne H.

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving Too

In the morning sprinkle thyme around, then open the windows, by early evening, the bugs will have left. Leave the thyme around for two weeks because that's how long it will take for all the eggs to hatch. This really works. I did it successfully in combo with exterminator spraying. (09/06/2005)

By Susan

thyme for bedbugs

I sprinkled ground up thyme on double sided tape around my bed and left it there for a month. No bugs crossed over the tape.

When I removed the tape to check to see if they would come back. They did. Put more tape down. (03/11/2007)

By Barbara

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving Too

I've been dealing with bedbugs since Dec. '06 it's now Aug '07. I am moving within the next 2 weeks. Long story, but they were here when I moved in, gotta go to court with my landlord. I am throwing out everything that is made of wood or fabric. Everything that is paper (they lay eggs on paper and wood) that is important will be put into air-tight plastic bags and/or plastic containers and left out in the heat. This Saturday will be 90 degrees

I just thought of an idea as I write. I have the Foodsaver (vacuum food sealer), so I can put papers in there. That would definitely kill them. I am moving in with family and they will kill me if I bring them with me. I am throwing out beds, sheets, pillows, etc. Another thing, if you use the plastic container or bag method, I read somewhere that you can also put that inside of a parked car in direct sunlight so it gets really hot in there.

If you want to save stuffed animals, my advice is to take them to a laundromat in plastic bags which you should immediately throw away, wash them in really hot water, and put in the dryer for an hour, then do the plastic bag/container car method. It's really hard work, and losing a lot of stuff, but I would much rather lose out on things, then take the chance of bringing them with me. (08/22/2007)

By Betty Bedbug

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving Too

I have been with bedbugs since May07. I have done everything, using Pyrethin, Raid, cleaning everything, hot water, vacuum, steam. One week ago, I decided to use three natural ingredients: Boric acid, thyme and tea tree oil. Now ten days without them biting me. (09/02/2007)

By Jenny

Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving Too

Another bit of info that may be helpful to all looking at this post. I've been living with bed bugs since June of '07 trying repeatedly to get rid of them. I live in a large apartment building and all my neighbors have told me they suffer from the same problem. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to get rid of them here is to move.

Anyhow, to deal with them on a night to night basis I've set up my bed in such a way as to isolate it from the rest of the room. I've put a nylon cover over both my mattress and boxspring. I have them on a metal frame and the entire bed is not touching any walls. Here's the key, each leg of the frame is sitting in a container with a small amount of cooking oil in it, just enough to surround the base of the leg. The bugs cannot swim and therefore cannot crawl onto my bed from the ground. I have to make sure that no blankets touch the ground and provide a bridge onto the bed. So far, I've had minimal bites since I put this into effect. It's not a solution, but it helps get through the night without being eaten alive. Hope this helps. (10/07/2007)

By Josh

Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceMarch 23, 2013
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:05:39 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.