Preventing Soggy Pie Crust

I just took a homemade baked apple pie from the freezer. After cutting it I see that the bottom crust is soggy, as if not baked enough. It was thoroughly baked. How can I keep this from happening again? Especially when I want to do more fruit pies? Thanks for the help.

By Joan from Girard, PA

I used to freeze unbaked apple pies. After defrosting, I would pop them in the oven. They always tasted very fresh.

I've heard that you can crush a cup or two of corn flakes (cereal) and put them on the bottom crust before adding your fruit filling. Not sure if it works or not, but it makes sense to me. Also, I think Mulberry204's suggestion would work well also.

Try putting butter on the bottom crust before filling it. I find that helps. It makes a barrier for the liquid.

I have 2 apple trees, 2 cherry trees, and 4 pecan trees. Every year I bake/freeze apple or cherry pie. I prefer to save my pecans and crack as needed to bake pecan pie, because I think that freezing an already baked pecan pie gives it a taste that just isn't as good as fresh.

Back to your question. I never have soggy bottom pies when I thaw them out for serving. I think this is because I don't make a fresh apple pie--I cook my filling first & add it to my homemade pie shell while it is still boiling hot (the trick is to not add as much of the thickened juices as usual--just enough to make the pie not seem dry), then top with my top crust, cut the vents, and bake as usual. After cooling completely, I freeze it without wrapping. Once frozen solid I wrap the whole thing in heavy duty aluminum foil; label, date & put it back in the freezer.

When I take the pie from the freezer I put it in a 350 oven and bake it until it is thawed and is nice and brown. Let it cool and the crust was always good.

Beat an egg and use a brush to brush the crust before you add the filling. You can do this on the bottom crust and top crust.

A piece of apple pie with crispy crust.
Preventing Soggy Pie Crust
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking PastriesAugust 9, 2009
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
Pie Crust Recipes
Pie Crust Recipes
Photo of vanilla wafer cookies which can be used to make pie crust.
Cookie Pie Crust Recipes
Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy
🎉
🎄