Low-Calorie Gluten-Free Zucchini Pizza

This is a favorite of mine for 3 reasons. One, I love zucchini. Two, it is wheat free. Three, there are a whole lot less calories!

• 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 3 eggs, well beaten
  • 1/2 cup gluten free flour
  • salt to taste
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped black olives
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian pickled peppers or chopped marinated artichoke hearts
  • jalapeno pepper rings, as desired
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp. fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • 3 to 4 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Generously butter a 9x13-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Put grated zucchini in a colander and press out as much excess liquid as possible. Put zucchini in a mixing bowl. Add well-beaten eggs, flour and salt. Mix well and spread in buttered pan.

Bake in a 450 degree F. oven for 8 minutes. Remove pan and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Cover the zucchini base with cheese. Combine ripe olives, onion, and chopped pickled peppers. Spread over cheese. Arrange jalapeño pepper rings over top. Sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs. Arrange tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake at 350 degrees F. uncovered, for 25 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

By Gina from Oklahoma City, OK

It sounds really good Gina. What kind of flour are you using for the pizza?

Sounds great, I too want to know what kind of wheatless flour you are using. Thanks

Sounds delicious! I too would like to know what kind of flour, thanks.

Sounds tasty, but besides not being wheat free, how is it LOW calorie with 2 1/2cups of cheese on it?

This is not wheat free. those who are intolerant or even allergic to gluten can't have "flour". When someone types flour, it's assumed it's All purpose, which is made from wheat.

Well, this pizza recipe is definitely a great vegetarian recipe; not vegan, but, no meat, though some vegetarians won't use eggs either.

I normally would have assumed that the flour was all purpose, however, since it is called wheat free, I figured that the "flour" must be gluten free, so I and the others were asking which GF flour was being used for the recipe. When people are used to their own GF flour, eventually, it probably is just called "flour" too for them. :)

Can you be more specific about the type of flour that you are using. Since "flour" is typically made from wheat - unless you mean, rice flour or lentil flour or bean flour or some other kind of flour and we would like to know what type of flour makes a really nice wheat - free zucchini pizza.

Please advise what kind of flour to use! I use rice flour or potato starch in recipes similar to these for a thickening action, but regular flour is totally wheat-filled! :)

I would really like to make the pizza, except for the pickled peppers, the artichoke hearts sound really good.

So, I checked out my grocery yesterday, and I think it's called Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour, though it was a small container, and kind of expensive. Anyway, I got everything except for the pizza, except the flour, and I do have various grains, but, I think I'm going to try using oat flour, since it is supposed to work with breads ok, and I have oatmeal, and I think that if I blend a cup of oatmeal, blend it for 60 seconds to make it flour, I think that a cup of it will be close to 1/2 a cup, any left can go back in with the oatmeal. I was thinking about dry roasting brown rice, and then blend it into flour, but, I think I'd like the oat flavor with everything. It's worth the try anyway, I'll let you all know how it comes out. :) Let me know what works well for you too!

btw, dry roasted brown rice blended to fine, makes an awesome cream of rice cereal, and a wonderful nutty flavor. Just medium hot dry pan (I use cast iron) and keep stiring it around, and when the wonderful aroma comes up, you got it perfect, take it out of the pan then, let it cool down, and then blend it to where you want it, fine or course.

I can use regular flour, gluten doesn't bother me, but, I would like to make this gluten free.

Thanks to all who commented. I just realized that I titled it wrong and I should not have said it was wheat free, I meant to say gluten free. Sorry for my mistake. And yes, it is Bob Mills gluten free flour that I used. I would imagine all purpose flour could be substituted with no problem.

Gluten free flour is not low in calories. Please tell us why you consider it to be.

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetarianOctober 2, 2009
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes