Party Ideas for Someone Leaving for Basic Training

My son will be leaving for Basic Training in the Air Force in a couple of months. We are planning a send off party for him. I need ideas for the party from invitations to food. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

By Karen from Knoxville, TN

How about a Bon Voyage party? He may not be leaving on a boat but he is leaving on an adventure.

You can make invitations look like Passports. Food can be just about anything but you can go the exotic and have seafood brought in or roasted pig. Dancing, have a funniest joke contest.Get the sound track for Titanic and play it in the back ground. If you think about it you could probably make this more plane oriented.

The 3 months before I left for Basic, my immediate family would get together and have a game night or just have Sunday dinner. We took tons of pictures, most of which I took with me and was able to look at during the "Dorm Guard" part of my nights. Make the memories.. The theme of the party wont really matter.

We gave our son a BBQ dinner at noon. I had all food in freezer so it were very easy to re heat & serve, we were very surprised at how many showed up,I had to re heat more as they all came in. It were raining that day. Did not expect too many people but food will draw a crowd, good luck to all.

I don't understand why it seems like parties now need a theme. I believe go with whatever pops into your mind. If you want to do it economically just do a basic party, serve what you want and forget the theme type decorations. If you want some decoration, most places that have fabric, have cotton type fabrics that have logos for the different branches of the military. Some are panels with one large logo on it and some are basic prints that have small logos all over. The panel would be neat tacked up on a wall for a decoration and they run between $3.00 and $5.00 a panel. If you go with the polar fleece the person could use it as a throw later on. The fleece is a little bit higher priced. But a large panel on a wall would really be all the decoration you would need. Wish your son well and good luck!

Prior to my son leaving for marine corp boot camp we hosted a party. I purchased a cake at a local grocery store and had the usmc emblem put on the cake. I went to my local $ stores and party stores and bought military decorations. I didn't find marine corp items so I used general military items instead. I used a paper tank as the centerpiece. In your case, you could use a plane. It was simple and fairly cheap. Hope this helps

Does he know he is getting a party? My hubby is retired army, the food at basic is not so good, they can't add spices and salts anymore also the good stuff like fried chicken and burgers and pizza are no more during basic. He suggests you ask him what food he wants and his favorites because he will miss them! a lot of pictures the decorations won't matter, he will be happy everyone is there to support him! We support him here and send our prayers!

September 16, 2011 Flag

My son is leaving for Army Basic Training in mid-October; I am having a going away open house for him in the (finished) basement of our church. I need decorating and food ideas, please. His aunt is doing the cake.

By Dianna P.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Food: Sloppy Joes, salads, and chips. Decorations: Balloon bouquets in red, white, and blue and maybe an occasional silver mixed in. At fabric stores a lot of the time they have fabric panels with the different military logos on them. Most of the time they are made out of polar fleece. You could buy one of these for no more than $15.00 and hang that on one wall, and then it could be used as a throw or wall hanging in his room at home, until he has someplace to take it. This fabric requires no hemming as it doesn't fray.

Does he know he is getting a party? My hubby is retired army I asked him what he suggests. Because they can't add salt and spices to the food and there is no pizza, burgers, or fried chicken things of that nature during basic, he suggests you ask what his favorite food is and what he wants because he will miss them! Decorations don't have to be much, he will be happy everyone is there to support him!

Yes ! All his favorite foods , 'cuz he will miss them . My daughter's leaving 10/3/2016. I know that she will dream of all the yumminess , that she misses. #pizza

Child Leaving for Military
Farewell Party for Child Leaving for Military
Holidays and Parties Parties AdviceJanuary 11, 2010
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Sad dog looking up at its owner.
Training a Dog That Bit Someone
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
Boyfriend hitting his girlfriend.
Leaving an Abusive Boyfriend
🎄