Purple Hydrangeas

There is a purple hydrangea bush in our neighborhood. How was that effect achieved?

Nana from Hattiesburg, MS

My grandfather use to put rusty nails in the ground around his hydrangeas. I am guessing the iron is what changed the colors. He had pinks, whites, blues and purples. It was one of my treats to get to help him do that.

I have a blue purple hydrangea in our backyard, it's just the variety. But I do know you can tweak the colors by adding things to the soil. I would google it on-line.

It's usually due to genetics. Why not just ask the owner? A little flattery will go a long way.

You can change the colors of most of the hydrangeas by changing the PH level of the soil surrounding the plant. You can also look this up on this site. I was reading up on it just this week. Good luck!

When we had finished building our home 20 yrs ago i planted a Hydrangea Plant and it came up all diffrent colors its a solid pink on one side and a solid blue on the other side and a two toned pink and blue and some purple in the middle and this is all on one bush i trim it down every yr and it comes up just the same i just take care of it and enjoy it and the Beautiful Blooms

Hydrangeas change color due to the acidic content of the soil. Depending on the soil you may get blue, pink or purple ones. I'm gussing that is why nails in the soil change the color of the flowers. You might ask your neighbor if she adds anything to the soil or if she just has soil that grows the flowers that color.

You may want to add ph to your soil if you want your hydrangas to turn purple.

Photo of a purple Hydrangea.
Changing the Color of Hydrangeas
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersMay 20, 2007
Hydrangeas
Dividing Hydrangeas
Growing Hydrangeas Inside
Growing Hydrangeas Inside
Propagating Hydrangeas
Propagating Hydrangeas
Hydrangeas in a Clay Pot
Growing Hydrangeas in Containers
🎉
🎄