Roasting Turkey Bones for Soup Stock

Turkey soup is a thrifty, nutritious way to take care of that left over bird. There's always something left! Remove the meat from the bones, as soon as possible to preserve the flavor and quality. Place the leftover bones on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 325 degrees F. for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Place the bones in a large pot, with about 2 - 3 gallons of water (depending on the size of the bird). Bring this to a boil, and then simmer for about 30 minutes. Strain the stock through a colander to separate from the bones. This will make absolutely, the best turkey stock for your soup!

Sally from Chewelah, WA

Showing: Comments Sort

By Jess 132 772 Flag

I had made turkey soup stock many times but had never roasted the bones like this before this year. The stock came out a much darker brown, almost like beef stock and smelled WONDERFUL. I haven't had a chance to make soup with it yet but I imagine that it will be better than ever.

Jess

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Ok Jess, you answered my question on why roasting the bones....makes sense now! I will have to try that! Thanks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennie 2 Flag

VERY GOOD IDEA....TASTES GREAT!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Yes, I've filed that under GREAT COOKING IDEAS, thank you.

God bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Richard 9 36 Flag

Did you mean to say 2 to 3 gallons? or should it be 2 to 3 pints? - as I will be giving this a go with our Christmas Turkey.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ruthieq 2 Flag

I'm pretty sure Sally meant gallons. But I'm curious how clean the bones must be before roasting and do you do the whole carcus which has lots of bits and pieces of turkey and fat and skin hanging on to it.

Ruthieq from Spokane, WA nearly next door to Chewelah

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sally 16 222 Flag

Hi Ruthie, just a few miles away! The bones can have as much meat on them as you want. Generally I remove all that is easy to collect and leave the rest for added flavor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ruthieq 2 Flag

Hi neighbor: That'a what I did and I also throw in some onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, half dozen peppercorns (no salt till I use the stock) and it is now simmering quietly on the stove with no cover so it cooks down and intensifies all the flavors. Bh the way, I have an added advantage, my husband smokes our turkey.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

If you add a couple tablespoons of vinegar while making the stock, it will leach calcium from the bones, giving your stock the extra boost of a needed mineral, and no, you'll never taste the vinegar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
Previous
Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupNovember 22, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
making a turkey breast
Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:36:17 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings