Shrimp Cakes

I can't afford Crab at today's prices, but I can buy frozen raw shrimp meat cheaply. I have used salmon instead of shrimp, and it is just as good.

• 1 lb. raw shrimp meat
  • 1 large egg
  • 1-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice (I have used it out of the bottle)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (if using salad dressing omit lemon juice)

Pulse shrimp in food processor a few times to break them up (or chop them by hand, you want them finely chopped.) Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse a few more times until blended or mix by hand. Form into 6-8 paddies about an inch thick. These can be frozen now for later use or refrigerated for use the next day.

To cook, put in pan over medium heat with a little oil in the bottom. Turn after browned on one side 3-4 minutes and finish the other side. Serve on a bun or alone.

I like to serve with a flavored mayo. 1 cup of mayo with some finely chopped sun dried tomatoes or some mustard or dill. Let your imagination go wild, use whatever herb or flavoring would go well with what you are serving.

• Up to 2 Tbsp. of finely chopped onion or shallot.
  • A few shots of hot sauce to your taste.
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley.
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped onion or shallot.
  • Exchange bread crumbs for 1 1/4 cups mashed potatoes.
  • For a crisper outside, dip in to bread crumbs be for frying.
  • For extra crispy, dip in to egg wash then into bread crumbs.
  • Make small ones, about the size of a 50 cent piece and about 1/2 inch thick, for finger food. Keep them warm with a pile of small buns and a few different mayos. Let your guest make their own.

Yum! Cannot wait to try this out, Thanks for sharing.

These sound great. Can't wait to try the little ones as an appetizer. Especially like the idea of serving different mayos for dipping. Thanks for sharing.

I make what I call salmon nuggets for my family. I use canned salmon, smash all the bones in (they are so soft, you don't even notice them, and the extra calcium is good for you) and mix like crab cakes. Canned salmon is way cheaper on sale than crab or shrimp, plus nothing to peel. I've paid $1.99 for a large 15 oz can at Walgreens, and it feeds my family of four with leftovers. I shape and brown them on both sides, and we usually eat them with ketchup or tartar sauce. I think they'd make great burgers too, but I haven't tried that yet.

When you say bread crumbs are you talking like cubed bread ot the fine bread crumbs you can buy?

Are we talking cubed bread or fine crumbs that you can buy

It would be fine unflavored bread crumbs. If you make your own out of fresh bread, dry them out in the oven. You will want them to soak up the shrimp juice.

Food and Recipes Recipes SeafoodJanuary 13, 2009
Shrimp Stir Fry
Shrimp Stir Fry Recipes
Peeling and Deveining Shrimp
Peeling and Deveining Shrimp
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes