I Have Been Coughing Since I Moved Into a New Apartment

I have moved into an apartment that has made me cough continuously. Is there a way to tell if the carpet has been cleaned? It smells in the apartment. Please help!

AK06 from Anchorage, AK

What does it smell like - mold? chemicals? if you can tell then you can proceed from there -

You might be reacting to mould in the apartment, you could try this thrifty carpet cleaning tip to see if it helps before you hand over money to get it cleaned.Sprinkle CORN STARCH on a dry carpet then vaccum after 5 minutes.Try this liquid cleaner for the kitchen & bathroom to remove mildrew & soap scum,1 2/3 cup Baking Soda,1/2 cup Liquid Anti bacterial soap,1/2 cup water,2tbls White Vinager. Combine all ingrediants together,stirring to remove lumps then use.If using on ceraminc rinse after with water or vinager to avoid film on the surface.Otherwise get your carpets and certains dry cleaned. Hope this helps you.

You need to address this problem. I lived in a house with mold issues for years and it adversely affected my health. Contact your local Public Health department. They can advise you, perhaps send someone out to your apartment for an assessment. If you are renting this unit, your landlord may be responsible for remediation.

Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 18, 2006
Composting in an Apartment
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Starting a New Garden
Starting a New Garden
Apartment Complex
Downsizing From a House to an Apartment