Kids Jacket Swap

Kids grow out of their jackets really quickly but the jackets don't seem to wear out quickly. Get together some of your friends and host a jacket or coat swap. You can also do this with adult clothes too. Everyone needs to bring a jacket that is in good shape. And now you can swap for a good jacket that will fit your ever growing kids.

By Debra in Colorado

Another good idea is to take a clean outgrown jacket to an nearby elementary school.

Last year when the cold weather set in, one of our schools put out a plea for winter coats. This one school had over 100 children who did not have a warm jacket. I know that is hard to believe. But there are children who just do not have warm clothing.

Folks here donated good clean jackets for both boys and girls. There were more boys than girls who did not have warm clothing. Some of the churches purchased knit caps and scarves, and donated them.

So don't throw warm clothing away. Let the school give a jacket to a child. They can do it easily, and no one has to know that particular child was without a coat, or a jacket.

My kids wear their jackets a couple years and since they are usually used to begin with (from garage sales or hand me downs) they don't necessarily look good enough to pass on. I do however donate their old jackets. I got my daughter a beautiful condition abercombie heavy jacket for 10 bucks at a garage sale this Summer. She just happened to be with me so I could try it on her! I would have never bought the jacket brand new as they are quite expensive.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I do think this is a good idea. If you have friends that you can exchange with, this is a good thing!