Browsing: Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

Kittens With Fleas

My kittens are 2 days old and are infested with fleas. What can I do to get rid of the fleas?

By Natalie

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Hello,

This can be deadly to your new babies, as fleas can suck their blood out. Please give them a bath, (watch their eyes) and use a flea comb. Please change their sleeping blankets & etc. What about the mother?

The truth is you may bathe the kittens in dawn dish detergent (the original blue one only). This will kill what is already on them. Give them a good brushing to free them from the dead ones, since they will probably end up eating them and that isn't good for them.

The next step is to rid the house of what might be eggs or larvae. You can spray distilled white vinegar all over the house. It is not fragrant but it works great. The smell of the vinegar will disappear in a day or so. I have older cats and I saturate a wash cloth with vinegar as well and wipe them down ears to toes, instantly the fleas die. I brush them a bit and they're as good as new! They also love the attention although chasing them for the vinegar rub (I have 5) is quite funny lol.

You must get rid of their favorite bedding or wash those items in the hottest water possible, but it's worth replacing for the sake of your pets. Be blessed and thank you thrifty fun friends for all the great advice in the past.

Also, I put two or three drops of apple cider vinegar in their wet food every day. This is great for maintaining flea free cats. Good luck with the kittens, they're wonderful and such a joy to have.

For the gal on disability who adopts cats, God bless you. People can judge but you are giving a loving home to the homeless. Keep finding tips here on thriftyfun.com and you will be able to care for those cats with minimal money to be spent. Vet's tend to overcharge anyway. Be blessed!

Be sure to change their bedding daily to reduce the flea eggs from hatching and getting on thd kittens. Try not to handle them until they at least 2 wks old. I am also going through the same thing. Mine are 3 wks old. I kept the fleas off until now changing their bedding. Now that they older im going to try dawn with vinagar. Ive noticed dawn dont kill all the fleas. So im using vinagar as a boost

On new kittens be sure to change their bedding daily. Handle them as little as u can so mom dont reject them. Fleas eggs will get on their bedding and hatch. Changing it daily helps a great deal

July 19, 2010 Flag

We have 3 adorable 4 month old kittens that we have raised since birth, I have been finding a lot of fleas on them. Does anyone have a cheap and working remedy? Thank you.

By lisa45764 from Nelsonville, OH

Answers:

Kittens With Fleas

Get a flea comb. There is only a little space between the teeth, so you can comb the fleas out. Put a bowl of hot water with a couple drops of detergent in it right by your hand. Comb the kitten and dip the comb in the water to wash off the fleas. You have to keep on doing it every day until you've killed all the fleas. Wash any bedding.

I have only done it with one kitten at a time, so I don't know. The easiest way would be to separate them and isolate the flea bearing one(s) until all the fleas are gone. This is time intensive, but you can listen to the radio or other audio while you're doing it. It may take a week, but you won't be poisoning the kittens before their systems can handle the flea poison in sprays or powders. Good luck (and when I did it, I only had to do it once when I combed them every couple of weeks [indoor cat]). (09/05/2009)

By tennesue

Kittens With Fleas

Get some Skin So Soft from Avon and mix with water. You can bath them daily. The oil in the Skin So Soft will kill the flea, but it won't hurt the kittens' tender skin. I've had to use it many a time on kittens and puppies and it works. (09/07/2009)

By Debbyann

September 4, 2009 Flag

I have 5 kittens that are a week old today. I noticed that they are covered in fleas and have no idea how to get rid of them. I don't want to use anything that might harm them. I also don't know what to use on the mother cat, because she is nursing. I don't know what would be safe.

I also have other pets in the house and use Frontline, but I didn't know if it was safe to put it on them since they go around the mother cat. Can that affect the kittens/get on the mother cat? I did read that I should give them a bath, but didn't know if they are still to young to get wet.

By joeyd389

Answers:

Kittens With Fleas

You can bathe them using a mild baby shampoo. You'll need to bathe them all at the same time, including the mother, and do it every 3 days for 10 days in order to make sure you get the larva as they hatch.

The baby shampoo though is about all you can use on kittens that young, or on their mother whom they nurse from. Flea shampoos can be fatal to kittens that young and if you bathe the mother in flea shampoo the kittens will ingest it when they nurse. Just be sure and dry them as quickly as possible and keep them warm. You can put an electric heating pad set on Low under a clean folded up blanket for them to lay on till they and the mom are completely dry.

Also wash their bedding in hot hot water. If it's possible you should boil their bedding. You could spread it out in the bath tub and pour tubs of boiling water on with some good strong detergent and let it soak for at least 20 minutes. Then rinse it out really well. If you can't get it into the washer for a rinse cycle, you could take it outside and drape it over a chair and spray it down good with the hose.

Be sure and treat the rest of the house and your other pets too, even though they are on Frontline. I'd bathe them too just in case. (07/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Kittens With Fleas

I just got 2 kittens and was told to use Dawn liquid dishwasher soap to bathe the kittens. As Cricket mentioned, you will also need to bathe the mother. I'm also trying to find out if I can worm them myself. I understand almost all kittens are born with worms. (07/23/2009)

By RealtorRose

Kittens With Fleas

Lime juice not from concentrate works on my kittens and cat. I put a couple drops behind their ears. (07/25/2009)

By Flagstaff

Kittens With Fleas

Get a quality flea comb (with metal teeth, with minimal space). It will catch fleas much more effectively than one with wider gaps, or a plastic one. Just be gentle with it. I found that with my kittens, they were much happier when I disposed of most of the flea problem. If as they get older, they go out, make a habit of giving them a light combing when they come in. (08/06/2009)

By istephen

July 22, 2009 Flag

I am looking for an easy non-aggressive way to get rid of fleas on two day old kittens. Please help.

By Tracey-tx from Brady, TX

Answers:

Kittens With Fleas

When kittens are young you can easily teach them to love baths (we've done this with 3 cats). You'll have to wait until they are about 3 - 4 weeks old then start bathing them once a week for 6 weeks, then switch to every 2 weeks, then to once a month. When they're grown they won't mind being bathed a bit and will just relax and enjoy the bath. Bathing stops cat allergies (my oldest daughter was allergic to cats) bathing prevented allergies.

To bathe a kitten, fill a plastic glass with warm water or a squirt hose from the sink and turn the water to warm and start wetting them at their rear end and work your way forward. Use only baby shampoo near their face and flea shampoo on the rest of their bodies. Flea meds are way too dangerous when they are tiny. Call a vet and ask if they're too young to be bathed. I expect they are too young and their mother won't like the new smell and may disown them if you bathe them now. (06/10/2009)

By Cyinda

Kittens With Fleas

You could get Food Grade Diatomaeous Earth. It is safe for animals and humans, but will kill the fleas and other bugs. It can also be digested. Wonderful stuff, great way to get away from nasty chemicals. (06/11/2009)

By Andzie

June 10, 2009 Flag

I have one week old kittens, 2 dogs, and 2 adult cats. I know how to get rid of the fleas that the older animals have, but the poor kittens are covered in fleas.

June 9, 2009 Flag

How can I get fleas off of a 4 week old kitten? I have already tried Dawn.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 15, 2009 Flag

I have 3 kittens. They are only a week old today today. What can I do to get rid of the fleas that they have?

August 1, 2008 Flag

I have 4 day old kittens with fleas. How can I treat them?

July 23, 2005 Flag

I need some home remedies and ideas for how to get rid of fleas on small kittens.

August 4, 2004 Flag

ust found 2 orphaned 4 week old kitties-house and other cats now flea infested.

kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Pets CatsJuly 19, 2010
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 2:03:58 AM on 10.0.0.240 in 342 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.