Coleus Branches Rooting While Attached to Main Stem

I have a coleus that is huge. It is so big that the branches are breaking off from the weight of the branches and foliage. The funny thing is, these large branches, while still attached to the main stem, are growing roots and wrapping those roots around the main stem. When I break off one of these limbs, it looks like a complete plant. I have never seen this before.

The plant is about 4 feet tall and extremely healthy and vigorous. I have about 40 new plants from this one and I have only had it about 3 months. Does anyone know about this growth habit, or have ever seen this with a coleus?

I thought I would just have a small, nice addition to the deck. It is almost turning into Little Shop of Horrors. Thanks to anyone that has some info.

Hardiness Zone: 11

By Steve from St. John, US Virgin Islands

I've never seen that (not to say that it doesn't happen). I would love for that to happen to mine but then again you are in zone 11 which is downright tropical so I guess anything goes. :)

I have two coleus plants that I started from seeds and they're also HUGE. When I spin them to encourage growth upward (instead of sideways toward the sun in the window) branches often break from their own weight since they had previously been supported by the wall.

It frustrates me so much because they're so pretty but seem so dumb. Why would they let themselves grow so much as to not be able to support themselves hahahah

Not sure what the fix is, why I would love to do, since when they break off there's often a big ugly whole where a large branch used to be.

Beautiful photo of Coleus up close.
Growing Coleus
Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsJanuary 14, 2010
Spraying a rose bush.
Treating Roses With Witch's Broom Disease
Rooting Hormone
Make Your Own Rooting Hormone
Plant Stem
Repairing a Broken Plant Stem
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water