Meals on the Go

Since we live in a rural area about 15 miles from the town we go to shop, we combine our trips for medical needs, appointments, etc. with our shopping. Often it means we are there at mealtime.

We are octogenarians and therefore need less food than a younger person requires. We go to a restaurant where we can select carry-out and fill one carry-out tray (those rolls are so big one is plenty for both of us), they charge by weight. So one tray is ample for both of us. The amount we pay varies of course by the weight. Usually between $5. and $7.

Either we eat in our car or we take it home, depending on our schedule. Another advantage of this for us is that we always want our favorite beverages, coffee for my husband and decaffeinated tea for me, and we always take these with us.

By Mary Bryan from Lexington, GA

I end up combining errands and grocery shopping with a meal, so I pack little snacks for the car ahead of time, like snack crackers (or make peanutbutter sandwich crackers) or carry a box of granola/cereal bars, and even homemade cookies! I have a juice box for the older one, or I go to a drive thru and buy food seperately to supplement with the snacks. Not the greatest meal, but once or twice a month is more of a special outing. We live 20 minutes from shopping and medical appts. Because some of our medical appts. have been in the hospital lately, we get lunch at the cafeteria...very healthy for little money! Having two boys under 5 years, they don't require too much either and usually can share a meal.

A family eating out.
Saving Money at Restaurants
Entertainment Dining OutDecember 12, 2005
Woman paying for fast food
Saving Money on Fast Food
Man choosing meat.
Using Cheaper Cuts of Meat
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook