Craft Ideas for Lung Cancer Awareness

I need a creative idea for a fundraiser. I have tons of little, one inch square Christmas Seals (not self-stick, but lick and stick instead) with varying designs that I want to use to make something grand. Perhaps inviting others to help and raise funds to support the American Lung Association's mission to fight lung disease and promote lung health.

You guys are the most creative people I know! What can I make or ask others to help me make that would raise awareness and funds for Lung Disease research, the number 3 killer? Any creative thoughts? I am pretty artsy, so any brainstorming ideas are appreciated!

By AHA! from PA

How about a decoupage? You could use pieces of lumber, or even wooden orange crate slats for a thinner version. Rub a little stain on the wood (or acrylic paint, watered down), paste on the stamp or a number of stamps depending on the size of the wooden piece and then brush on a little burnt umber oil paint (found in an art store) and immediately rub the paint off so only a little stain is left. Then you can spray them with a satin finish spray or wax them with paste wax etc or use a decoupage glue to seal them. Add a little ribbon for a hanger and you have a pretty ornament. I see versions of these in all the stores for both a country look and at Christmas

Your decoupage plaque sounds like a great idea for fundraising..selling them as holiday wall/door decorations! Thanks!

I am also looking for some large project to invite the community to help me make...like covering a large sculpture form with the stickers but I am stick trying to come up with some grand idea so everyone will participate as well! Any thoughts on this?

What will happen to the large project later? Will it be stored away or shown? These are questions you have to ask yourself before deciding on what the project would be. What do the stickers look like? How many are there? Are they of toys, elves and Santas or are they religious type of the babe and mother etc? You could buy a roll of paper (Staples/IKEA) and draw squares for a certain number of stamps so that when they are all stuck on it would look like a quilt......you could put a line under each one so they pasters could sign their name like a signature quilt.

If it would be shown you could try a piece of muslin and when it's finished spray it with a fixative (any quilt or hobby shop) so it would last. A very large wooden bell or christmas ball which you could stick the stickers to (not sure where that would come from, but you could blow up a beach ball/balloon and paper mache around it) and when it was finished decoupage it. That's all I can think of off the top of my little head.

Dear AHA: Because fast nickles are better than slow quarters, why not make them into magnets? You can get foam for 10/1.00 at the dollar trees, as well as the magnet strips that are flat.

Put the magnet on the fridge and determine which side holds the best, as one side generally (but not always) has a groove down the middle.

"Lick and stick" them to the foam using a small sponge, or your tongues and tummies will soon tire of the taste. I would stick them close to each other, while the sheets are still hole. That way, you don't have to cut the foam twice. This not only saves time and effort if the squares aren't just right, but makes the cuts perfect.

I would also try one and make sure your stick "sticks" to the foam. Tacky glue or Elmers on the back will keep the magnet on, once the item is dry. Then, you can trim with a straight or scalloped scissors for a cool effect.

You can then put them all on a cookie sheet and try something like using tube paint, putting an edge of paint that covers the edge of the paper, then trim once it is dried if you want to paint them while they are still in "sheet form".

Whatever you do, do share it with us?

Crafts AdviceSeptember 10, 2009
Breast Cancer Awareness Pin
Breast Cancer Awareness Craft Ideas
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention
Radon
Radon in the Home
Caring hands
Helping a Friend with Cancer
🎉
🎄