Hard Water and Hair Dye

I just read a magazine article about hair. It indicated frizzies and hair dye that does not last can be attributed to hard water. Their solution was to suggest that you install a water softener showerhead.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

I've had a water softener for years. I love it, but it does not help my frizzies or my hair color last any longer. It DOES let you use half as much soap, detergent, shampoo, etc. etc. and makes cleaning the kitchen sink and the bathroom a breeze.

Do you suppose mixing up a spray bottle of softened water would help with the cleaning?

Actually, frizzies and the fading of hair color are not caused by the ph of your water. What kind of Shampoo are you using? If you are coloring your hair, but failing to use a color-treated shampoo, that would be the first cause of rapidly fading hair. Second, if you are having problems with frizzy hair, try a smoothing shampoo such as Nioxin (a little on the expensive side, but a bottle lasts a long time!). Nioxin also makes a smoothing & color treated formula shampoo in one bottle. If anything, ask your stylist - he/she will know what's best for your type of hair.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJuly 12, 2006
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub