General AdviceConsumer Advice

Are Computer Giveaways and Jobs from Home Legitimate?

I get things all of the time in my Yahoo account, ways to do surveys, make money, free dinner, etc. Are any of these real or just scams? I have been trying to find way to earn money on the computer, but I am scared of these. I get several I'm not sure where they get my information; I haven't given it out or filled one out yet for fear of the unknown. I did see a TV show where these people did it all of the time (extreme cases) and they made money, won gifts, etc. If any of these work could you tell me anything? Thanks so much.

By Luana M.

You are wise to be cautious. As the saying goes, "Nothing is free" and there are very few exceptions. Most of the "work from home" sites are scams. There is one site that actually does pay you. But it isn't enough to make a living off of nor enough to pay for coffee 5 days out of the week. Off hand I can't find the URL or name of it but when I do I'll see that you get it.

Bottom line is you take a chance with any of those make money from home sites. If you do decide to try one don't give out your bank information or Paypal information without double checking (search around) the validity of the website. If there are others who have been scammed they would probably have said so somewhere on the internet and Google will find it.

As for the free computer offers they usually want you to agree to 4 or 5 other deals which will cost you and then there is still no guarantee you get the PC/laptop.

Suntydt is right about the "free computer" giveaways. I can recommend two surveysites, though: the American Consumer Online Panel and MySurvey.com. I've legitimately earned a little cash with both, and Reader's Digest recommends MySurvey.com.

I do legitimately work from home as a B2B telemarketer with Edoc, Inc. However, again as Suntydt said, it's never going to make you rich. I compare what little I earn to sheltered-workshop wages, but it does keep me busy and the few dollars I earn do supplement our SSA.

Feel free to TF message me if any of this info is to your liking. JPJ.

Sorry... I also meant to say I've earned more money writing award-winning essays for TF than doing surveys - just sayin'.