Dollar Stores Don't Always Have The Best Deal

contest winner icon

Dollar stores can be great sources for necessary items. However, don't assume that because something is in the dollar store, it is a good buy. Sometimes one can buy things elsewhere cheaper. For example, after Christmas last year, I was able to buy wrapping paper in the grocery store for fifty cents a roll. Not only was it cheaper, but there was more on the roll and it was of better quality. Know how much you want to pay for an item, and then wait until you see it for that price to stock up on it.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Also, last week I bought Halls cough drops for 50 cents a package in CVS. I had a coupon. They were one dollar a package at Dollar Tree.

This is very true. I have found items (e.g. party favours) in large retail stores cheaper than the price dollar-type stores were charging. It pays to check these things out before 'impulse' buying...even if you think it's a bargain.

Good point, Carol!

Another thing,make sure the "DOLLAR STORES" that you go to are

really just a buck! (I like dollar tree).

I get really good deals @ my dollar store. Greeting cards are

2 for $1.00, gift bags are inexpensive and the smaller ones come in lots of 2 or 3.

I did get cheese spread, (like but not WISPRIDE) it was so bad my dogs or husband would not eat it!

All in all the $ store can have good bargains, but you have to watch what you get!

Yes, it's true - you have to watch the prices - sometimes the deals are great, sometimes not so good. And the sales at the supermarket can be super - my husband gets some great stuff when he goes shopping on Sunday evening at a suburban store we happen to be near to...

I agree I bought 7 rolls of wrapping paper @ Krogers for $4.00, 2 were the big ones. They were marked 2.99 & $3.99. This was after Christmas.

Toothpaste is a dollar at dollar tree like AIM but at wal-mart its 88 cents/

One major point to consider with these Dollar Stores. A lot of their stuff, foods, cleaners, make up, toothpaste et are made in CHINA. Not a good deal if you sicken, or kill you kids, or pets! By the way I have seen AIM toothpaste, made in China, and such a good copy cat I had to look twice to see it was not the real deal! No contact info on it, like you see on the real thing, also it was an odd size. If you don't wear it, eat it, give it to Fido, or clean with it it might be OK to buy? Watch out for kid's toys, think lead etc.

Also in SD, a lot of the "dollar stores" are no longer just $1.00. They have things for all prices. I also don't feel it pays to go to a dollar store if you have to take public transportation. I have had the problem when I buy things like shower gel at dollar stores, there is no paper sealer inside the lid and in the process of being juggled during transportation the lids will sometime get slightly lose and some of the product will leak out, causing a mess on everything in the bag.

I have purchased writing tablets and Puffs tissues, at Dollar General, on different occasions. The tablet had a chemical smell that made it impossible to use, even after airing it outside for several days. The Puffs tissues had the same chemical smell. It was apparent that they were shipped from China or somewhere and treated with Petroleum Distillates. I ended up getting rid of both items...cheaper than trying to hassle with driving several miles to return them. So, some things at "dollar stores" might be a good bargain but not always.

You just have to watch. Ours had wrapping paper bundled after Christmas, so that it was 10 rolls for a dollar.

My husband likes to trawl the bargain bins at the office supply stores & at Radio Shack. He has gotten great deals on software/totes/paper and so on!

I like to shop at Rite Aid with my Wellness Card. I get 20% off items that are not discounted and if I have a coupon, that is an extra bonus. I also like their UP rewards program and rebates. I do shop the Dollar Stores, but I get quality merchandise at Rite Aid and the more you buy, the more you save. I make a list of items I use and eyeball the sale flyers every week. It has paid off for me.

My local dollar general store has boxes of 18 count tampons in a yellow box for $1. I initially bought one to just try, they aren't the best I've used, but they do the job well for the price.

Inside each box is a coupon for $1 off of your next box. The only drawback is you can only use one coupon per visit. Initially I spent $1. Went back and bought 4 boxes and paid $3. Next 4 times I'm there I'll get a free box, and inside those free boxes will be coupons for another free.

So it is entirely possible I won't be paying for tampons for a good long while. They also have la's totally awesome laundry detergent, 32 loads for $1. A dish detergent in a big white bottle is $1. Ours had a $1 aisle and that's where I look for things first.

Pile of Coupons
Bargain Shopping Tips
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingDecember 28, 2007
A woman checking out at a grocery store.
Download Store Coupons to Your Rewards Card
Black Glasses
39 Dollar Glasses Reviews
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
🎄
🍂