Removing Vomit Smell from a Car

The odor of vomit can be quite strong and difficult to remove from your car. This is a guide about removing vomit smell from a car.

June 23, 2006 Flag

After a night of drinking, I puked all over my boyfriend's car. I had it cleaned by a car detailer, but the smell is still there. How can I get the smell out of the car?

Thanks
Brittany from Toronto, CA

Best Answer

I use disinfectant spray (Lysol) for that purpose. works perfectly.

You can also spread baking soda and leave it overnight, then vacuum.

Or put an open can of black coffee to absorb the odour.

Best Answer

Found this on the internet. You can also try saturating the area with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then, using a clean white absorbent cloth, blot the area, pressing down firmly (do not rub) for 30 seconds. Repeat this blotting process until the area is dry. If the stain or odor persists, repeat the process.

Best Answer

My husband has been guilty of doing the exact same thing in my car! We had it detailed but still that awful smell was there. So, I resorted to the old fashioned remedy of sitting a bowl of vinegar on the floor of the car overnight. It took 2 nights - replacing the bowl with a fresh one each night - but it worked perfectly! The vomit smell was completely absorbed into the bowl of vinegar! An open bowl of white vinegar will soak up most strong odours - including the smell of fresh paint in a house!

Best Answer

The best thing ever! Untreated charcoal briquettes.

I shampooed twice. I used baking soda, I used vinegar with NO results.

Put a bag of untreated charchol briquettes and overnight the smell was gone! The only thing that worked for me. This is the easiest thing to do. Just open the bag and leave it open over night and magic.

Trust me this works the fastest, and the best!

Best Answer

We had a pretty extreme case of this, all over the backseat of my husband's car. Even after shampooing everything, the smell was still there, and very strong. I tried two of the things I saw posted here and miraculously, overnight the smell was gone. I covered the area with baking soda and left and open box in the car just to be sure. I also left a bowl of white vinegar on the floor of the back seat. Not sure which was the cure, but the smell is gone!

Take your car to the fire department or EMS ambulance center. They have things to get rid of the bad smells in vehicles when someone dies in it!

The cost is FREE! After all, they work for the community which is you so use them to your best advantage!

I had a problem with cigarette smells in a car I bought and having asthma I could'nt stand the smell. I took it to someone and had it cleaned no luck, but, a car dealer told me to take a bowl of fresh coffee grounds and a quater slice of an apple and put the apple in the grounds and place it in my car, amazingly it works! No more smell. It's worth giving this a try.

My husband went out with the guys one night and smoked a cigar. As if that wasn't bad enough, he then got into MY car and made the whole thing cigar-stinky! The nerve of that guy. Anyway, I got some Febreze (I think it was the car-specific kind) and thoroughly sprayed all the interior fabric surfaces, then cracked the windows and left it for a day. By the next morning, the smell was completely gone. I was amazed!

Tuck a couple of new fabric softener sheets up under the seats. Don't tell him you're doing this - guys tend to think it's a sissy thing - but it works!

i was told by a old school bodyshop owner they used "wet Coffee grounds" under the seat for a few days to rid the smell of paint and bonds. Bet it would work on throw up.

December 5, 2000 Flag

My little nephew was unfortunately sick in my sister's car. She cleaned the mess up immediately and has since tried a couple of different solutions to get rid of the smell, but without success. Does anyone have a simple tip to get rid of the smell?

Virginia

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

While working in a pet hospital we had tried lots of different things for odor and cleaning. The one I liked best was called Odoban. You can mix a little and spray it for an instance smell-be-gone or use it in a stronger solution for floors, laundry etc.

However the reason I love it is that my husband spilled a full glass of milk in our car seat and drove it to work (in the summer while living at the beach). I could not stand that smell. It took two treatments but worked wonderful. I get it at Sam's club in a gallon size but have found it in 16 oz sizes at pet stores, cleaning places and others. Walmart carried it at one time. Good luck.

Best Answer

Wal Mart and perhaps other stores providing goods for hunters sell scent elimination chemicals. A chemical brew designed to help hunters sneak up on hapless deer can just as easily help you kill odors. Effective? You bet! I was able to neutralize the odor of a decompsing mouse that had died in my car's air conditioning blower. Since necrosis is perhaps the most objectionably smelly natural process known to man, this is amazing.

Best Answer

Sprinkle coffee gounds (fresh) in your car--leave overnight, then vacuum. My husband worked in a distribution center and rail cars came in smelling terrible and coffee is what was used. Hope this will help.

I've found that Smells Be Gone (I buy it through our local health food store and also through RealGoods.com) really works wonders in cases like that. I have yet to try a homemade concoction, but there might be one in, for example, the Clean and Green book by Annie Berthold. Good luck!

Baking soda sprinkled on area. Let it sit, then vacuum.

I have great luck with vanilla, Just a few drops on some cotton will make the car smell nice.

How about activated charcoal. I think you can get it at a pet store.

Newsprint takes out a lot of smells. I use it when we put away our coolers after use. Simply pack the newsprint on area affected an leave for day or two.

stale milk on carpet in car

February 6, 2012 Flag

I need to know how to get vomit smell out of my brand new truck?

By Ruth from MS

Go to your police, fire or ambulance department and asked them to help you with the smell. Folks die in some of the situations they are used in & asked to come to, so they may be able to help you.

Here at my home I put straight vinegar in a pint jar or jars and leave them sitting somewhere in the room where no one will see them and 'it' takes care of all smells from pets, to tobacco smoke and persons being/getting sick in the house.

Good Luck!

Generic Listerine, (the amber colored from wal mart) is excellent. I put it in spray bottle and use it for vomit, pet smells, cat urine, etc. and works very well. Use it as a general cleaner for the bathrooms and kitchen too... even windows, dirt cheap!

Hydrogen peroxide works well too. Just check a small area first, in case it bleaches, but really gets out the smells and stains. We use it for cleaning the bathroom sink, and shower; gets in the grout too. Last it is great as a mouthwash... no morning breath! Sparkling white teeth and in my daughters case, was the only thing that cured her gum disease!

Last that waterless hand sanitizer gel. This stuff is outstanding for nasty messes and smells... really makes things sparkling clean!

Also.. after you clean, if you still have odor, you can sprinkle on 20 mule team borax, rub it in, let it just sit there several hours and then vacuum it out.

Good luck!

There is a product called Oda Ban or Odor Ban that is sold at Sam's Club. Works wonders.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 21, 2016
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Cleaning a Leather Couch
Vomit on a Leather Couch
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄