Dog Not Eating

I have a 12 yr. old German Shepherd mix male dog. I went to the vet and everything, he checked out fine. We took him in because he drinks a lot of water and all of a sudden he stopped eating his dog food.

We mix it with wet for 12 yr. and add water. We even switched food. He doesn't get much table scraps to live on and he gets one Greenie a day. He just won't eat. I've hand fed him.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next? Any help besides he'll eat when he's hungry? I'm use to him eating once a day. He use to eat twice. I know his metabolism is low. But what else can I do for him?

By _Snug212_ from Hag., MD

Best Answer

I would get a second opinion. I wish I had done that with my dog that passed on. One vet said he was fine and she died the next morning.

Best Answer

Hello, please go to another Vet. Asap. A dog that does not eat is an emergency.

I owned a dog who had a high water intake suddenly and was gaining weight excessively. Turned out he had liver cancer and we had to put him to sleep. He was ten years old. With older dogs you can expect health problems. There's something going on with your pet the vet may have overlooked same as the one we had did on his first check up for the issue. To help better diagnose the condition; note on paper throughout the day any changes, how much food and fluid intake, take his temperature, and note his behavior changing such as sleeping more or appear unrestful. I did this for my dog and the vet after hearing all the symptoms, she called me in a second time and did a more thorough exam because she said something wasn't right. I wasn't expecting to learn it was terminal cancer. It was so progressed, we had little time to adjust to the news.

Lorelei has very good suggestions and you might want to consider getting a second opinion from a different vet if your vet still says everything is fine after giving detailed information.

Also agree here that Lorelei has some good suggestions.

You did mention a Greenie a day, though and you may want to read this CNN news piece from a couple of years back:

http://articles.cnn.com/2006-02-14/ ... oetheli-greenies-dog-owners?_s=PM:US

I remember seeing this when we were getting ready to bring our present dog home as a pup--if you Google "Greenies problems, Greenies danger" an awful lot of sources come up. In some dogs, the Greenies can have the effect of expanding like sponges and have been connected to intestinal blockages and deaths. This includes larger dogs as well as little ones.

Have you mentioned the Greenies daily to your vet? If you have, and your doc doesn't give that a second look with a series of Xrays, I'd go with a second opinion. Though your pup is a senior dog and his symptoms could be from many, many things--the digestive problems he's having also reflect some of the reports of dogs sickened by those treats.

My dog Rusty will eat can food and moist and meaty so I guess that is what we will be feeding him from now on. He won't eat his dry food. I don't think he has a blockage or he wouldn't be going to the bathroom. He has eaten greenies his whole life. We had KFC the other day and he ate like a pig off that. The vet took his blood work to check for things and it all came back normal. Plus, he's active, he plays with us and his toys, he attacks his daddy's leg when he goes outside to clean up yard. My neighbor said that he looked fine and in good health too. We was hoping he would stay around for at least another year or two. Thanks.

November 4, 2010 Flag

Why is my Shih tzu not eating?

By Dave from Mansfield, TX

Answers:

Dog Not Eating

I don't know why your dog isn't eating. We don't have enough information. If you're concerned, you should consult with your dog's vet, they can check for any medical problems and give you proper advice. (07/13/2010)

By mrs.story

Dog Not Eating

Sometimes my dogs skip a meal or two if they have been hot or just don't feel like eating.
However, this truly isn't a whole lot of information to work with, that he isn't eating in general.
If he misses a few meals or if he is throwing up, take him to the vet. I usually only really worry if there are other things happening besides not eating, like throwing up, running a fever, panting abnormally, lethargic, and so forth. (07/14/2010)

By hollyelese

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 13, 2010 Flag

What does it mean if my dog is not eating?

By Dannyelle from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Dog Not Eating

How long has the dog not been eating? What other symptoms does he have? Is he doing anything else that isn't normal behavior for him? If he hasn'9;t been eating for more than a day, I'd take him to the vet for a checkup. He may be sick. (01/21/2010)

By Molly539

Dog Not Eating

Any pet that won't eat is sick. You shouldn't wait another minute to get him to the vet. I've known many people who saved the lives of their pets by acting quickly and getting the animal to a doctor. Please call right now for an appointment! (01/22/2010)

By PainterLee

Dog Not Eating

Yes, please talk to your vet. When our Mastiff didn't eat for three days (with no change in his diet to account for it,) we called our vet. He also had developed a large, hard lump on his abdomen that turned out to be cancer. Our vet talked us out of euthanizing him then, and all we could do was pray and ask our friends to do likewise.

I believe we've experienced a canine miracle healing. The tumor shrank down to almost nothing within days, he started eating again, and is still with us several months later! (01/23/2010)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2010 Flag

What should I do if my dog does not eat?

Jacquelyn from Laurel, MS

Answers:

Dog Not Eating

Are you just trying to get your dog to eat it's regular food? You need to try a "treat" like cheese or deli meat. If your dog will not eat a treat that is a sure sign that something is wrong.

I lost my beloved Buster because I hadn't noticed that he had not eaten in a few days. I tried his favorite treats, but he was not interested so we rushed him to the emergency vet. Turns out he had a tumor type growth in his abdomen that had burst and filled his insides with poison. He didn't get to come home.

A short while after that I had a co-worker telling me that her dog had not eaten in 2 days, treats or otherwise. I begged her to take her dog to the vet immediately. She reluctantly left work and called later to tell us that the vet had found a blockage. He had to have surgery. She sincerely thanked me later, because she would have waited if I didn't push so hard.

I am not trying to scare you, but basically the only way they can tell us something is wrong is through their eating and going habits. Please take him to the vet to rule anything out, especially if there is other abnormal behaviour. Laying in a new spot, restless, can't seem to get comfy? These could be signs of pain or discomfort.

About the ones with sensitive bellies, I give my 2 Rat terriers a heaping tablespoon of yogurt every day. I have discussed this with my vet. It does help to keep their systems regular. They have had to have medicines and have special foods in the past. The yogurt has eliminated the sick belly vet visits.

Tracey from Jacksonville, FL

(01/14/2009)

By TraceyI

Dog Not Eating

Chicken noodle soup is my home remedy. It worked for my Sheltie. Not sure what was wrong with her. Probably won't work for everyone. (01/15/2009)

Dog Not Eating

I hate to scare you, but your dog should go to the vet. My Lab mix stopped eating a few weeks ago, we tried baby food and canned dog food to no avail. She began to have breathing problems, too, so the vet took a chest x-ray and she had a huge tumor in her chest. We had to put her to sleep. Very sad. Just get the dog checked out by the vet. (01/16/2009)

By Marfette

Dog Not Eating

I'd say call your vet before you go. You can tell him or her about all your dog's symptoms over the phone, and if his or her condition calls for drastic measures, the vet's office can be prepared when you arrive.
Things to look for:

Hope your beastie is doing much better soon. (01/17/2009)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2009 Flag

My lab of 4 years has not had a appetite for the past 3 days. I was gone for a week and back but someone who watched him has left and he may be sad that he is gone now as he got very attached prior. I have put cheese and other things in the food but he just eats that. The food sits all day while I am gone. Any ideas?

Gerry

Answers:

Dog Not Eating

Is it really hot there? Dogs frequently "go off their feed" when the weather is hot. (06/30/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Dog Not Eating

I hate to say it, but a dog that does not eat for 3 days needs to see a vet immediately. My neighbor's 4 yr old dog stopped eating when it got lymphosarcoma. Sorry to say that.
It is not a matter of using Cesar's techniques after 3 days. (06/30/2008)

By OhioGirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2008 Flag

A few days ago one of my dogs began to not eat her food. She coughs and acts like she needs to throw up but doesn't and she is constantly whining and wanting to play all the time with my other dog.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 16, 2006 Flag

My 2 year old chihuahua/rat terrier mix, Maxine hasn't been eating her dog food lately. She goes outside and lays there and eats grass.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Dog Won't Eat
Dog Won't Eat
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 4, 2010
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.
Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed
🎉
🎄